Would you accept this scenario?

That's it in a nutshell though you won't be thanked for stating it. I say it every year winning the CL doesn't make you a great team but you can't be classed as one without winning it.
Exactly this.

Look at the Messi situation. He's now universally regarded as the greatest player ever. That came AFTER winning the most prestigious national team trophy, the one trophy that hung over him like a dark cloud. Of course, people knew deep down he had a legitimate stake to that claim already, but winning the World Cup has now elevated his status above all others. Irrespective of how he played in the tournament, he has now "completed football", and is the greatest.

The same is true of our team, they are yet to "complete" club football. I've said it here many times, but it's worth repeating; if you want to go down as a truly historic club team, and regarded as one of the greats, then you have to win the European Cup, either as a Double or in close proximity to a couple of league trophies. I don't just want us to win it for myself, seeing Big Ears in Sky Blue ribbons would be wonderful; I want us to win it for the players too, they deserve the recognition it will bring.

Haaland craves being the very best. He lives and breathes football and will want a Balón d'Or to his name before he retires: you can take this to the bank as fact, he ISN'T winning a Balón d'Or unless he wins big ears.

There are two huge trophies in club football that players covet above all others, the domestic league and the European Cup. We've only won one of them; that needs to change. No more excuses now.

No

the idea of not winning the league cup is unthinkable ;-)

If we missed put on theleague I will take the champs league for a season to get the monkey of our back and to have completed winning the lot.

every year league is the most important though

I’d take the OP’s scenario for just one season to finally get the monkey off our backs

There's only a monkey on your back if you allow it to be there.
The 17-18 side played, I believe, the greatest football that's been seen in the PL. By any reasonable criterion, it was a great side.
And yes, I would like us to win the CL. But no-one should be talking about sacrificing, prioritising, in my view.

Yes. We need the CL now, it's the biggest club trophy in the world and if we want to be ranked alongside the pantheon of greats; i.e Pep's Barca, the Milans of the 90's/00's, the threepeat Madrid, the numerous Bayern teams, a certain English team that I won't mention because I can't be arsed setting off the resident children of the forum; we need to win this trophy. It's an ever-growing stigma against the club and those City fans that don't think it is have got their heads buried firmly in the sand. You can't name a truly great European club that haven't won it, apart from ourselves. As of now, the priority is CL. Once it's in our cabinet we can get back to winning consecutive titles.

Needless to say, the goal should be winning both in the same season.
Arsenal are still London’s biggest and most successful club despite never winning it and despite Chelsea winning two. I’d argue Chelsea’s stature as a club hasn’t really changed despite winning two. I could even put a case forward that Chelsea’s current stature as a club is slightly lower than it was during their original Mourinho-through to-Ancelotti era before they won the CL.

Forest have also won two but I still look at clubs like Sheffield Wednesday (two divisions below them and never won it) as bigger clubs than Forest.

Juventus are always seen as Italy’s biggest club despite winning five fewer European Cups than Milan.

Five English clubs have won the European Cup (United Liverpool Forest Villa and Chelsea), but only four have won three league titles in a row (Huddersfield Arsenal Liverpool and Unitedx2).

I actually agree with you that the section of fanbase needs to stop with their ‘I don’t care about the Champions League’ attitude too many of them have and that the CL is the biggest club competition of them all… but I’d just rather win three league titles in a row than win our first CL this season.

If we can with both, mind… then bloody great!

Last edited by a moderator:
We really need to win the Champions League to shut everyone up.

You really think that will happen?
The dipper brigade will immediately say, “Come back and see us when you've won six”. The rag brigade will say, “Come back and see us when you've won three”. Real Madrid will say, “Give us a call when you've won fourteen, newbies”.
And everyone will say, “Do it without oil money and it'll mean something”.
I just don't care what others say about my club, when it is so palpably in bad faith. I don't even bother to engage the conversation in pubs and suchlike any more. Look, the players do want it, the owners do want it, and Pep clearly wants it. I'll be prepared to want it on their behalf.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.