Would you miss MOTD?

blackley macca said:
Its the football league highlights that they are cutting not MOTD isn't it?
I think they are reviewing how much it costs for the rights to show PL games added to the salaries of the presenters and comparing it to declining viewing figures. If that's their criteria then it doesn't look good. TBH I've never liked programmes where people can express their opinions completely unchallenged.

Personally I really like MOTD and really look forward to watching every Saturday. The comments made by the pundits are only as biased and unchallenged as Sky's on live matches and all their various magazine programmes (Sunday Supplement, Goals on Sunday, Gillette Soccer Saturday)

It all brings controversy that we can talk about and debate for many days after - god forbid everything was just vanilla and everyone would be in agreement

Think about this ..

Next season instead of Vidick lifting the trophy at the start of the program there will be a lovely new video of Vinnie lifting the Premier League trophy.

So we should keep it for at least another year just so I can have that as my background!

IF bbc dont get it. I hope Channel 4 get it. Would love to see James Richardson on that fronting it as he is the best presenter there is. I find it crazy bbc and sky both over looked him for the presenters they have when they changed there programes.

To be honest with Channel 4 and sport they only have racing on a Saturday and then the American Football on the Sunday night. IF they want more live sport they will come in for a Europa league games or even try and get the champions league off ITV.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
DavidM said:
The BBC just cannot afford top level sport.
Top level sport costs more and more money and a terrestrial TV station without advertising is going to seriously struggle to fund the money it takes to buy the TV rights.

Taken from the BARB website for BBC1 viewing figures, a typical Saturday night:

Strictly 11.78m viewers
Merlin 7.32m viewers
Casualty 5.18m viewers
MOTD 4.22m viewers

Some weeks it does not even figure in the top 30 programmes on BBC1!

Even Countryfile with 7.75m and Antiques Roadshow with 6.57m get more viewers.

You cannot compare MOTD's ratings with ''Strictly'' (fucking hate that term)
One is on early evening for a ''family audience'', the other on at 10.30pm aimed at blokes sat watching with a few beers and teen kids too young to get in a pub.

The BBC can and will, it comes down to the cost to produce against viewing figures. If you are forced to spend £171m (2009 figure) for 3 years rights to show PL highlights plus the cost of putting on the show and you are only getting 3.5m to 4.5m viewers then you might easily decide to make cheaper programmes that attract more viewers and with the added advantage that shows like Strictly also bring in revenue with their telephone voting.

No.

Goals on Sunday is a far superior show. Great highlights, great presenters, good guests, proper "banter".

WNRH said:
No.

Goals on Sunday is a far superior show. Great highlights, great presenters, good guests, proper "banter".
Personally, I think Goals on Sunday is worse than MotD.
Too much talking and not enough action. MotD shows more actual football than GoS, and doesn't talk over very brief highlights that you may not have seen. And, they show more of the pundits' montages than the games from the previous day.
The pundits seem to be on a rota, how many times each season is Big Fat Sam on, for example?
And, Jamie Twitcher is always on with his expert "analysis" of the forthcoming games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.