Would you send your kid to private school?

gordondaviesmoustache said:
callumcity said:
schtipps said:
After sending my son to a normal school and then deciding to send him to boarding school, i have experience of both private and state education systems. Whilst, many state schools can be very good, it's a postcode lottery and can be hard to compare to a private boarding education. Boarding school offers a far more rounded education in my opinion, developing solid foundations and preparing them as adults. It is a lot more difficult for the children and a form of tough love. I know that may sound strange, but growing up in a shit area doesn't make you tough!

Worst thing you can ever do is send your kid away to boarding school
That is a ridiculously simplistic statement to make.

My son went to boarding school at 13 and after a difficult year or two it's been the making of him. I see him just as much as I ever did beforehand and when I offered him the option of living with me for a couple of years while he did his A-Levels his eschewed that option with definitive aplomb.

If you want to spend half an hour with us both before the Burnley game to re-evaluate your preposterous assertion, then I'm more than happy to effectuate that. I doubt you'll find a more loving father and son combo.

I know he would find the notion of the education he's received to be anything other than in his best interests to be utterly absurd.

Fair enough. I know a few people who have gone to boarding school and have come to grow distant and even abhor their parents. It's not uncommon mate. If you have a great relationship with your son then fair do's, its worked out for you but not for everybody. If my Dad had sent me to a boarding school i'd have been pretty pissed off, not that he would ever had done so.

I'd rather not risk my children hating me rather than sending them to boarding school because there's a better chance they'll achieve greater grades. From my experience of three different schools and two colleges, teachers are fairly homogeneous. There's only been one teacher that has really impressed me and actually was head and shoulders above the rest. If a child has there head screwed on they'll do well anywhere.

everyone who goes to a state school has the most amazing relationship with their parents

that's why state schools rule

I suspect the effect of what age you are sent to boarding school is the biggest driver. My mum and uncle went at 7 and they never forgave their parents and it was very clearly a bad experience. A teenager is quite different and many can play more of a part in the decision and understand it is not a parental rejection in the Same was as a kid. I guess boarding schools are all different too.

For the last few years after I left Manchester I went to a school which had the only state boarding school in England so the kids of the forces based at Brize Norton could get consistent affordable schooling rather than get shipped to Bahrain or elsewhere . Some enjoyed it, some hated it but I guess as a Comp it wasnt a typica boarding school and it had a fairy homogenous populous as most I knew had forces parents.

callumcity said:
callumcity said:
Worst thing you can ever do is send your kid away to boarding school

My son went to boarding school at 13 and after a difficult year or two it's been the making of him. I see him just as much as I ever did beforehand and when I offered him the option of living with me for a couple of years while he did his A-Levels his eschewed that option with definitive aplomb.

If you want to spend half an hour with us both before the Burnley game to re-evaluate your preposterous assertion, then I'm more than happy to effectuate that. I doubt you'll find a more loving father and son combo.

I know he would find the notion of the education he's received to be anything other than in his best interests to be utterly absurd.

Fair enough. I know a few people who have gone to boarding school and have come to grow distant and even abhor their parents. It's not uncommon mate. If you have a great relationship with your son then fair do's, its worked out for you but not for everybody. If my Dad had sent me to a boarding school i'd have been pretty pissed off, not that he would ever had done so.
I also know a lot of people who are mentally scarred by the experience which is why I was initially very hesitant, but despite my reservations it's been the absolute making of him: he is an independent, resourceful, respectful, balanced young man not least because of the standard of education, but also because of the 'type' of education he's received.

To say, as you did, it's the "worst thing you can do" as a parent is palpably wrong as far as I'm concerned. To some kids it's a living hell; to others it's the best time of their lives.

Life's too complicated to say "always" and "never".

callumcity said:

I also know a lot of people who are mentally scarred by the experience which is why I was initially very hesitant, but despite my reservations it's been the absolute making of him: he is an independent, resourceful, respectful, balanced young man not least because of the education, and the type of education, he's received.

To say, as you did, it's the "worst thing you can do" as a parent is palpably wrong as far as m concerned. To some kids it's a living hell; to others it's the best time of their lives.

Again, fair enough. It's hit and miss I just don't think its worth the risk. I'll never personally forgive my mum for taking me 100's of miles from my dad at 8 years old. It killed me and a small part of me will always hate her for that. I couldn't imagine being without any family at any age.

I can't ever imagine being able to pay for either of my son's education. Not coming from an academic family, the importance of education wasn't really urged upon me. Had it been though, I probably wouldn't have listened anyway in truth, just as I didn't listen at the comprehensive.

But all the information is there if you enjoy reading, you can educate yourself, which is something I want to instil in my boys.

I realize what an advantage having a good education can give you in life, and I will make sure my lads know. I will hammer it home if I have to, possibly with an actual hammer.

That's my simpleton's view on the matter anyway.

154303ee91f0f21e7233043a8847c43b92e88c6f800b4e93ff28df38780f29bf.jpg

35g74z.jpg

public-school.jpg

f563b9bd39cac943872169111549db956d6e01c9cdc6e3325a62bc8597fd49d2.jpg

callumcity said:
callumcity said:
I also know a lot of people who are mentally scarred by the experience which is why I was initially very hesitant, but despite my reservations it's been the absolute making of him: he is an independent, resourceful, respectful, balanced young man not least because of the education, and the type of education, he's received.

To say, as you did, it's the "worst thing you can do" as a parent is palpably wrong as far as m concerned. To some kids it's a living hell; to others it's the best time of their lives.

Again, fair enough. It's hit and miss I just don't think its worth the risk. I'll never personally forgive my mum for taking me 100's of miles from my dad at 8 years old. It killed me and a small part of me will always hate her for that. I couldn't imagine being without any family at any age.
Not wishing to draw gratuitously unfavourable comparisons but I can state with supreme confidence my son has never felt he was "without" his family. If he ever wanted us there, we were, without hesitation. I'm now based within 15 miles of his school, partly for him to know I'm here. I'll stay here until he's finished his A-Levels. I just want the very best for him, as any good parent does for their child.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.