WTF happened to music?

Its an age thing the young generation very rarely buy albums its hit tunes they go for.
That’s what music was originally all about.

Back in the 1920s-1950s most artists never brought out albums, just singles, just hits. And even into the mid 1960s all covering each other’s tracks or just being cover bands or just stealing riffs and lyrics and beats from previous decades (and I include all the big 60s bands in that from The Beatles to the Roses to Led Zep).

Up to the invention of the 331/3rd rpm micro groove LP in 1948 they used 78s made of shellac that only lasted 5 minutes.
They couldn’t record albums.
They didn’t play long enough.

888.jpg

That’s what music was originally all about.

Back in the 1920s-1950s most artists never brought out albums, just singles, just hits. And even into the mid 1960s all covering each other’s tracks or just being cover bands or just stealing riffs and lyrics and beats from previous decades (and I include all the big 60s bands in that from The Beatles to the Roses to Led Zep).
Albums are very much a late 60s, 70s, 80s thing and were declining from the 90s onwards, really the CD started the decline for albums. Think the classic album suffered from being able to include all the fillers on a cd where with vinyl bands had to choose the songs to fit into 40 minutes.

I know it's a cliche but modern music is just shite. I spend most of my time on youtube watching Queen, Pink Floyd, Guns n Roses, etc etc etc and I'm thinking why oh why does this quality of music not get produced anymore? Did the bands of today not grow up listening to this kind of stuff and want to create similar stuff of their own?

Its not just rock, even 'popular' music is shite, whether you like them or not, people like Elton john, Michael Jackson, Madonna are legends of music and all lead lifestyles to match.

Nowadays I dont think anyone, be it bands or individuals, will go down as legends and be loved in 30/40/50 years time.

Is it nostalgia, am I becoming a grumpy old man, or as I believe has music just turned to shit?

Theres plenty of great music, you just have to go look for it...the stuff that is thrust upon you is that which "sells".

You might like the following...give em a go:

Midlake - in particular The Trials of Van Occupanther and/or Antiphon

Manchester Orchestra - A black mile to the surface

Fangclub - Fanglcub and/or Vulture Culture

Fontaines DC - Dogrel

Up to the invention of the 331/3rd rpm micro groove LP in 1948 they used 78s made of shellac that only lasted 5 minutes.
They couldn’t record albums.
They didn’t play long enough.

And that's where the word 'Album ' as we now know it comes from. A whole collection of 78's in sleeves in ( you've guessed it.....) an album.

It’s all about touring now. You release an album to support a tour.

Without hearing much of his stuff beforehand except the Tracy Thorn duet, saw John Grant at Bluedot. Brilliant.

Theres plenty of great music, you just have to go look for it...the stuff that is thrust upon you is that which "sells".

You might like the following...give em a go:

Midlake - in particular The Trials of Van Occupanther and/or Antiphon

Manchester Orchestra - A black mile to the surface

Fangclub - Fanglcub and/or Vulture Culture

Fontaines DC - Dogrel

Midlake haven't released anything in six years. Hardly 'new' music.

They are decent though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.