WTF happened to music?

People slating 2019 music as if the 90’s wasn’t full of the Spice Girls and Take That. There’s always been crap pop.

Not to mention all of the bands with the one hit wonders around the 80s, the rest of the music they peddled out was shite. There’s even television programmes dedicated to these shit bands of the past, even though they never existed.

Blame the invention of the mp3,

I concur to this.

Yes it's great to stream music, have a gazillion songs on your phone/MP3 player, but.......

You'll never beat the times when we would actually queue up on the day of release of an album (CD) of our favourite artist - to physically hold in your hand the album - read the lyrics sometimes on the way home, before actually playing the said album was amazing.

I also blame the X Factor thing of instant success - years ago a band had to do the rounds, play small gigs, build up a following and it was during that time, they learned to improve and therefore produce music that would last.

Kids these days don't seem to be loyal to a band in the way that we all used to be, we all used to be fans of a group the way we were fans of a football team.....today, fickle kids just like a mish mash of shite

I know it's a cliche but modern music is just shite. I spend most of my time on youtube watching Queen, Pink Floyd, Guns n Roses, etc etc etc and I'm thinking why oh why does this quality of music not get produced anymore? Did the bands of today not grow up listening to this kind of stuff and want to create similar stuff of their own?

Its not just rock, even 'popular' music is shite, whether you like them or not, people like Elton john, Michael Jackson, Madonna are legends of music and all lead lifestyles to match.

Nowadays I dont think anyone, be it bands or individuals, will go down as legends and be loved in 30/40/50 years time.

Is it nostalgia, am I becoming a grumpy old man, or as I believe has music just turned to shit?
Hahahahaha, a list like that and you say 'modern' music is shite....?? Sweet child o' mine.

It changed, yes we all think its shit but its the same for every generation. I'm sure the previous generation thought 'WTF are these dickheads listening to' when Punk came about. I know my dad always hated hip hop and thought it was an abomination. The same with what i think of what hip hop is now and the music industry as a whole, but them's the breaks, you get old.

I know it's a cliche but modern music is just shite. I spend most of my time on youtube watching Queen, Pink Floyd, Guns n Roses, etc etc etc and I'm thinking why oh why does this quality of music not get produced anymore? Did the bands of today not grow up listening to this kind of stuff and want to create similar stuff of their own?

Its not just rock, even 'popular' music is shite, whether you like them or not, people like Elton john, Michael Jackson, Madonna are legends of music and all lead lifestyles to match.

Nowadays I dont think anyone, be it bands or individuals, will go down as legends and be loved in 30/40/50 years time.

Is it nostalgia, am I becoming a grumpy old man, or as I believe has music just turned to shit?
Modern music is as good as it ever was. It’s just that record companies only put out shite modern pop music as that’s what makes them money. So all good music is on independent labels and is anywhere from alternative to underground and gets no exposure, so you just have to search for it.

But there’s a sea of good modern music out there.

I posted this in the Glastonbury thread a few weeks ago:

Great music has been released this decade by:
Agnes Obel, Al Lover, Allah-Las, Amber Arcades, Âme, American Bear, Anchorsong, Art Department, Avey Tare, The Babe Rainbow, BADBADNOTGOOD, Bass Drum Of Death, BC Camplight, Beck, The Bees, Ben Klock, Bibio, Big Thief, Bill Ryder-Jones, The Black Angels, The Black Keys, Black Rebel Motorcylce Club, Bonobo, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Causa Sui, The Charlatans, Charles Bradley, The Chemical Brothers, Chicano Batman, Christian Bland & The Revelators, The Cobra Lamps, Cool Ghouls, The Coral, Cosmonauts, Courtney Barnett, Crocodiles, Crumb, Crystal Stilts, Dan Auerbach, Darker My Love, Daughter, Dead Rabbits, Dead Vibrations, Devendra Barnhart, Dope Lemon, Doug Tuttle, The Durty Wurks, Earth Trax, Easy Giant, Elbow, The Everywheres, The Fat White Family, Father John Misty, The Fernweh, Foals, Gaz Coombes, The Gene Dudley Group, Ghost Dance Collective, Goat, Golden Dawn Arkestra, Good Morning, Grizzly Bear, Hanfry Martinez, Heaters, Henry Saiz, Herbert, Holy Wave, The Holydrug Couple, Hookworms, The Horrors, Hot Chip, Jacco Gardner, Jagwar Ma, James Holden, James Skelly, Jon Hopkins, Josephine Öhrn, Julia Holter, Khruangbin, The Kills, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, The Kundalini Genie, La Femme, La Luz, Letherette, Levitation Room, Little Barrie, Lorelle Meets The Obsolete, The Lucid Dream, Mat DeMarco, Madlib, Mantra Love, Maybird, Melody’s Echo Chamber, Midland, MONEY, Moon Duo, Morgan Delt, Moses Gun Collective, The Murlocks, Mystery Lights, Mystic Braves, Nadine Shah, Night Beats, Nina Kraviz, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds, Petre Inspirescu, PJ Harvey, Primiesku, Quantic, The Quantic Soul Orchestra, Renegades Of Jazz, The Roots, Sébastian Tellier, Serpent Power, Shapes Have Fangs, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, sir Was, Soulwax, The Spyrals, Sunglasses For Jaws, Tame Impala, Tammar, Temples, Terrance Terry, Tess Parks, TVAM, Ty Segall, The UFO Club, Ultimate Painting, Unknown Artist, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Unloved, Untold, Wand, Warpaint, White Denim, Wolf Alice, The Young Sinclairs, 77:78...

And so on and so on.

That’s just some of what I like. Someone else could come along with a list just as long with their own bands and artists that I haven’t even dipped into yet.

If you like rock music like you said in your OP, check out these bands, from the start of their back catalogue:
Black Keys, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Black Angels, Little Barrie, and maybe even Ty Segall whose new album came out just last week.

And whenever you get into a new band or artist on Apple Music or YouTube or wherever, ALWAYS scroll down or look right and see what they recommend as similar to what you’ve found because that is where you discover new music these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.