Wycombe (H) - EFL Cup R3 | Post-Match Thread

Really enjoyed the game. Great to see Foden back in action and he showed some beautiful touches. Looked very assured and hungry in the middle.

The young lads all did themselves proud and hard to pick one out as the stand-out prospect. Lavia looked solid and determined and i'd say he has the best chance of becoming first team regular given his position. Mbete was very assured, as was Esbrand.

Quite interesting how few aerial challenges our defensive trio (Burns, Mbete, Lavia) 'lost' last night. Indeed, Akinfenwa was able to win many without even getting off the ground. That's not a criticism of their play, more an observation that they're smart enough to apply enough pressure, without really contesting, and then move to areas where the second ball might drop and use their speed to contest those. That's a smart way of playing and will help them as they develop physically.

Would like to see them get another crack in the next round, though it's more than likely we'll face someone from the top flight.
Noticed this myself. The back two rarely came forward to contest the high ball and tended to wait for the ball to 'drop' before making a move. This goes against the 'don't let it bounce' mantra that's been part of defensive coaching for decades and was initially quite worrying to see. It worked well last night but i'm not sure i'd like to see that 'tactic' employed against a top class front line.

It's a long time since I was so excited about a group of players coming through.

I see potential greatness in Lavia, I was shocked at his levels playing in such an experienced position - he's ready now - he's easily on a par with Rodri - the kid has it all.

Would not surprise me if him, Palmer and McAtee go all the way.

Were there any 'notable' attendances in other matches last night?
My difficulty in finding a list suggests Citys crowd was quite good and not what the press wanted.

It's a long time since I was so excited about a group of players coming through.

I see potential greatness in Lavia, I was shocked at his levels playing in such an experienced position - he's ready now - he's easily on a par with Rodri - the kid has it all.

I'm not sure I agree. He looked good last night (against league 1 opposition). He doesn't have the experience Rodri has. I think he's got a higher ceiling than Rodri, but not convinced he's anywhere near as good right now.

Noticed this myself. The back two rarely came forward to contest the high ball and tended to wait for the ball to 'drop' before making a move. This goes against the 'don't let it bounce' mantra that's been part of defensive coaching for decades and was initially quite worrying to see. It worked well last night but i'm not sure i'd like to see that 'tactic' employed against a top class front line.
In terms of their development, it would be a good test next to play a Championship side or even someone like Burnley in the next round. Not sure they’d be able to ‘avoid‘ the physical contest as easily against such opponents, but if we draw someone better, I suspect Guardiola will play a different hand.

Got to agree about Palmer and McAtee both have fantastic potential as does Lavia, hard to believe he’s only 17.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.