Xabi Alonso

Just the ticket,a master in the middle of the park.

Not too old not to be able to contribute or cover for the next 18 months while also allowing our younger lads the time to hopefully develop.

FantasyIreland said:
Just the ticket,a master in the middle of the park.

Not too old not to be able to contribute or cover for the next 18 months while also allowing our younger lads the time to hopefully develop.

He'd be decent back-up to Garcia.

Fantastic player but if it was me I would want a midfielder more in the mold of Fernandinho. We have one in Rodwell but his injuries are unfortunate.

Am I missing something here?

This is the same Alonso who Rafa Benitez, 6 years ago, decided to try to upgrade on by replacing him with Gareth Barry, the same Gareth Barry we decided is past his sell by date last summer!

Please no short-termism. It just hoards more problems for later rather than solve them. You only have to look west 5 miles to see the flaw of too many slow and old has-beens. It comes back to bite you in the arse when they are all found dead one morning of old age in the team hotel.

The rags should sign him. Not much left in the tank. Niggling injuries so wouldn't play much and papers over the cracks.

We don't need him. We need a 23/24 year old Alonso type player.

if we can sort a paid-as-you-play and player-coach deal I would say great business.

Vieira did wonders when he joined us and now he's doing excellent work in the seats. I don't see why Alonso hanging his boots here and being a club ambassador on the Spanish speaking front is not worth 12 months of him playing on the field.

and 32 is not really that much of a problem seeing where he will be positioned in. Lescott is 31 and Demichelis is 33 so, perspectives really.

not suited for certain games but I can see him useful against Stoke, Sunderland, etc. to rest tired legs.

I'd take him on an 18 month deal (two years at a push) as long as he would be happy to be a squad player rather than an automatic starter. It's fine to have a few experienced players nearing the end of their careers as long as we don't rely on them too heavily.

If we are looking to strengthen in January he is the type of player we should be looking at.We would be able to get him fairly cheap due to his contract situation. It would also be a great boost for the rest of the squad to have someone of his undoubted class arrive. He would slot in perfectly IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.