Yaya Toure signs new five year contract (merged)

Re: Yaya's agent says he is ready to quit...

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
FantasyIreland said:
A quality bit of tub thumping i agree,however,it doesnt address any of the issues that have plagued us this season.

The problem is that very few of the issues we have to face actually "plague" us. Our season is being presented as a monumental failure, comparable to the "capitulation" that Hansen promised Mancini was presenting last March. Just as we actually did the opposite of "capitulate" last April and May, so we aren't living through a self-made disaster now.

We have 59 points from 29 matches and at that rate would end the season with 77 points. I think most would be disappointed with that if we had been told this at the start of the season. It would never win the PL but should be good enough for second, if we get 77. The problem is that the team we all dislike above all others (to put it mildly) already has 74 points and is on course to finish the season with 96, which is a record total. In other words no team at any time would have pushed them into second. It is this which has distorted everyone's - our own fans as well as pundits - view of our season. And let's not denigrate our achievement last season: we didn't win the title because United blew it, or because we got two goals in stoppage time or because the rags blew a two goal lead against Everton. We won the title because we did better than the second placed team, in a season in which they got more points than any other runners up. At times we played the best football the PL has ever seen, we scored at rates not rivalled since the 19th century. We won the title and we won it well.

In the CL we went out to Madrid and Dortmund. Ajax beat us to third. Ajax won at OT last season, and Madrid won there this. United went out to Madrid. Dortmund disposed of Shaktar with ease, after Chelsea had been well beaten in Donetsk and struggled at home. Arsenal lost to two German sides this season, one of which is well below Dortmund in the Bundesliga and which won 2 - 0 at the Emirates. A big part of the CL is exactly WHEN you meet strong teams, and United met them one round later than we did.

So, fine, I was standing on my soap box and thumping my tub - but let's be clear on what the real issues are before we start on the same old broken records of sack the manager, kick players who don't put any effort in or "don't want to play for City" or don't "value the shirt" or any other of the facile crap we get thrown at us.

Second time in a few days but brilliant post pal.

It was the black sense of humour that still made going watching City superb.

The Doomsday Twins and their disciples will be after you.

Now here's a thing!

Anyone ever subscribed to the full Sky package, been hyper impressed initially, then got too used to having it, forgetting of course what it was like without it and then once the novelty has wore off you're left with a huge great monthly outlay for a service you no longer really appreciate!

Then your financial situation changes and cut backs are needed. All spending must be analysed and justified. Ultimately, luxuries like Sky will be sacrificed in the naive belief that the Freeview will suffice even though you know if Sky reduced their price you would definitely keep it!

In a nut-shell, Yaya is Manchester City's Sky! FFP is the change in our finances and the EDS is sadly our Freeview!

In short, if we are daft enough to not keep Yaya by renewing his contract then I suspect there will be little worth watching on the Etihad TV!

Sad but true! Cancel the subscription at our peril.

MaineRoadBlue said:
Now here's a thing!

Anyone ever subscribed to the full Sky package, been hyper impressed initially, then got too used to having it, forgetting of course what it was like without it and then once the novelty has wore off you're left with a huge great monthly outlay for a service you no longer really appreciate!

Then your financial situation changes and cut backs are needed. All spending must be analysed and justified. Ultimately, luxuries like Sky will be sacrificed in the naive belief that the Freeview will suffice even though you know if Sky reduced their price you would definitely keep it!

In a nut-shell, Yaya is Manchester City's Sky! FFP is the change in our finances and the EDS is sadly our Freeview!

In short, if we are daft enough to not keep Yaya by renewing his contract then I suspect there will be little worth watching on the Etihad TV!

Good analogy. I do think there have been issues over Yaya's paly this season but, on balance, he is a key player.

mcmanus said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
FantasyIreland said:
A quality bit of tub thumping i agree,however,it doesnt address any of the issues that have plagued us this season.

The problem is that very few of the issues we have to face actually "plague" us. Our season is being presented as a monumental failure, comparable to the "capitulation" that Hansen promised Mancini was presenting last March. Just as we actually did the opposite of "capitulate" last April and May, so we aren't living through a self-made disaster now.

We have 59 points from 29 matches and at that rate would end the season with 77 points. I think most would be disappointed with that if we had been told this at the start of the season. It would never win the PL but should be good enough for second, if we get 77. The problem is that the team we all dislike above all others (to put it mildly) already has 74 points and is on course to finish the season with 96, which is a record total. In other words no team at any time would have pushed them into second. It is this which has distorted everyone's - our own fans as well as pundits - view of our season. And let's not denigrate our achievement last season: we didn't win the title because United blew it, or because we got two goals in stoppage time or because the rags blew a two goal lead against Everton. We won the title because we did better than the second placed team, in a season in which they got more points than any other runners up. At times we played the best football the PL has ever seen, we scored at rates not rivalled since the 19th century. We won the title and we won it well.

In the CL we went out to Madrid and Dortmund. Ajax beat us to third. Ajax won at OT last season, and Madrid won there this. United went out to Madrid. Dortmund disposed of Shaktar with ease, after Chelsea had been well beaten in Donetsk and struggled at home. Arsenal lost to two German sides this season, one of which is well below Dortmund in the Bundesliga and which won 2 - 0 at the Emirates. A big part of the CL is exactly WHEN you meet strong teams, and United met them one round later than we did.

So, fine, I was standing on my soap box and thumping my tub - but let's be clear on what the real issues are before we start on the same old broken records of sack the manager, kick players who don't put any effort in or "don't want to play for City" or don't "value the shirt" or any other of the facile crap we get thrown at us.

Yes, I think it's hard for anyone who "wasn't there" in the '90s to realise what made City fans stick by the team and the club. The rags were winning everything going, the "free the Maine Road 30 000" was in full swing and the club was accelerating towards oblivion and yet we were City fans, never any question, even though they had the capacity to ruin any and every week end. I think a brief conversation with my grandson illustrates it. He was 9 last season, and he looked at the painting, signed by the Goat himself, of the goal he got against United in the derby at home when Keegan had brought us back into the PL.

"Grandpa, is that 'the goat'?
"Yes, Jack, that's 'the goat'!"
"Is Aguero as good as 'the goat'?"
"Mmm. 'The goat' was really special!"

Logic? But the "goat" will ALWAYS be really special, even though he never snatched the title out of the abyss for us.

MaineRoadBlue said:
Now here's a thing!

We can live without Yaya don´t be so dramatic

Bring in Vidal and we'd be fine,add Di Maria and we'd soon forget about him.

FantasyIreland said:

United have Carrick and Cleverly and they are +15 points ahead of City !

I am sure City can have better CMs than these two.

Tevez City said:
FantasyIreland said:

Maybe but the above both work their nads off and fit perfectly into their system.Their players compliment each other that much better than ours.

I think Carrick,in particular,has had a fantastic season.

Tevez City said:
FantasyIreland said:

United's philosophy for most of this season has been "you score 3 goals, we'll score 4". Not really a sustainable long-term solution, they will need to strengthen their midfield for that reason and probably will. I think they'll sign Strootman who looks a top prospect and won't break the bank. Cleverley isn't good enough as a weekly starter no matter how much they harp on about him and Carrick is getting old.

Vidal would be a great signing. The problem with our midfield isn't so much the individuals but the lack of variety. Yaya/Garcia/Barry is one of the slowest midfields imaginable except on the rare occasions Yaya goes on a storming run. I'm not sure if more than one of them should ever be in a midfield, maybe two but only if Yaya is further up the pitch.

I'd love to see Cavani or Falcao here but I fear it'll make little difference if we don't upgrade the midfield in two areas (central and attacking/playmakers/wingers) as they'll just be feeding off scraps and struggling to find clear cut goal scoring opportunities like our strikers are now.

mcmanus said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
FantasyIreland said:

Yep. Didn't take long for some our our fans to sound just like rags did it lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.