Yaya Toure

As others have stated, he was too deep once again.

Just like last season.

I honestly thought Fernandinho was brought in to do that job, so Yaya could push forward once again, like he used to do when De Jong was our defensive midfielder.

Hmmm.

He's a luxury player to an extent,digging deep isnt his thing.

Against stubborn,industrious and battling oppostion,he isnt the best choice to play in a defensive role.

dobobobo said:
OB1 said:
Yaya made more passes than any other player on the park (more than twice as many as Fern) with an 89% completion and made more tackles than any of his team mates.

Maybe, but I got the feeling that 79% of the match the players on the receiving end of the ball thought: "Thanks mate, what fuck do you expect me to do with this?"

They can always give it back to Yaya because he will probably have made himself available.

There seems to be at least something of a consensus that Yaya shouldn't be played in such a deep role. So my question is, how do you get the best out of Yaya? Can he ever really be that effective as part of a midfield two with Fernandinho, or would he benefit from the freedom afforded by playing in front of two deeper midfielders?

Perhaps a more pertinent question would be: who do we build this team around? Because at the minute Silva playing nominally from the left leaves us very unbalanced, particularly as Clichy offers nothing in an attacking sense, and Yaya being deployed so deep significantly decreases his impact on the game. Do we need to drop a striker and bring in another midfielder to add a bit more balance?

FromPollockToSilva said:
There seems to be at least something of a consensus that Yaya shouldn't be played in such a deep role. So my question is, how do you get the best out of Yaya? Can he ever really be that effective as part of a midfield two with Fernandinho, or would he benefit from the freedom afforded by playing in front of two deeper midfielders?

Perhaps a more pertinent question would be: who do we build this team around? Because at the minute Silva playing nominally from the left leaves us very unbalanced, particularly as Clichy offers nothing in an attacking sense, and Yaya being deployed so deep significantly decreases his impact on the game. Do we need to drop a striker and bring in another midfielder to add a bit more balance?

Fernandinho should be the one sitting deep, where he can screen the back line, make tackles and instigate attack from deep with his wide range of passing. Yaya should certainly play in more offensive positions particularly away from home. He can still drop back in midfield but he should not be the main player to sit in front of the defense. I still like the two midfield option but Pellegrini can consider playing three midfielders with Rodwell and Fernandinho holding and yaya unleashed to bring carnage on the opponents in terms of his passing, creativity, his pace, power and his finishing ability (which is quite underrated.)

I couldn't work out why he was faffing a out playing the ball backwards and sideways with 2 minutes to go. What a (millionaire) fool

Blueband Brother said:
FromPollockToSilva said:

Fernandinho should be the one sitting deep, where he can screen the back line, make tackles and instigate attack from deep with his wide range of passing. Yaya should certainly play in more offensive positions particularly away from home. He can still drop back in midfield but he should not be the main player to sit in front of the defense. I still like the two midfield option but Pellegrini can consider playing three midfielders with Rodwell and Fernandinho holding and yaya unleashed to bring carnage on the opponents in terms of his passing, creativity, his pace, power and his finishing ability (which is quite underrated.)

I would tend to agree with you, especially for away games where the midfield is tight. I think Mancini's old trick of removing a forward and bringing on a midfielder to allow Yaya to push forward may have been a decent move today. Fernandinho and Milner with Yaya in front would have offered a bit more than the midfield two, and we wouldn't have lost anything by bringing Aguero off.

OB1 said:
Yaya made more passes than any other player on the park (more than twice as many as Fern) with an 89% completion and made more tackles than any of his team mates.

This!

People seem to pick on him but he stitches everything together...... Not his fault we conceded from two corners

FromPollockToSilva said:
Blueband Brother said:
FromPollockToSilva said:

I would tend to agree with you, especially for away games where the midfield is tight. I think Mancini's old trick of removing a forward and bringing on a midfielder to allow Yaya to push forward may have been a decent move today. Fernandinho and Milner with Yaya in front would have offered a bit more than the midfield two, and we wouldn't have lost anything by bringing Aguero off.

Its true that Mancini used that strategy a lot and i think Pellegrini will do the same as well. Milner is a top player and can do a job there but I would very much prefer Fernandinho and Rodwell in there. It is a shame that Barry is no longer involved as the pace of the game has caught up with him, well according to the manager it seems. His passing intelligence and positioning as a holding midfielder is still very good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.