Yes

Steve Howe, what a musician.

But like a lot of prog, I admire the technical proficiency but the music does absolutely nothing for me.

Same with most jazz funk.

For sure. Geoff Downes had his attributes on Drama and the first Asia album, but he didn’t provide the distinctive features Wakeman could.
The AWR show I saw at the Apollo & which made it to DVD was a fabulous show, and those 77 and 78/9 tours he played on back in the day are probably my favourite Yes tours.
Indeed Downes struggles with the more complex Wakeman stuff in Yes.
His soloing on Roundabout can be particularly excruciating tbh.
For me, Yes in the round circa 78 was the very pinnacle of them live.

Indeed Downes struggles with the more complex Wakeman stuff in Yes.
His soloing on Roundabout can be particularly excruciating tbh.
For me, Yes in the round circa 78 was the very pinnacle of them live.
He's not really up to it.
I thought Moraz was great on Relayer but he doesn't seem to get on with people.
Moody blues fired him as well.

Steve Howe, what a musician.

But like a lot of prog, I admire the technical proficiency but the music does absolutely nothing for me.

Same with most jazz funk.
My issue with Steve Howe is, great guitar player that he was,terrible guitar sound though sometimes his sound would be so much better with a little bit of heft.Maybe why I like 90125 so much, Rabins tone so much better. Plus somebody should stop him doing backing vocals on the new stuff.

My issue with Steve Howe is, great guitar player that he was,terrible guitar sound though sometimes his sound would be so much better with a little bit of heft.Maybe why I like 90125 so much, Rabins tone so much better. Plus somebody should stop him doing backing vocals on the new stuff.
You prefer the heavier Rock guitar sound.
Steve has always been very into Jazz and classical tones. Which was the reason they got Steve (and sacked his predecessor). They thought it blended in well with their sound. (and he was the only one with that sound in Rock) and gave them a distinctive sound.

I personally prefer Yes with Steve. His style imo suits albums like CTTE, Topographic, The Yes album, the classic Yes years.
With Rabin they began to sound like a hundred other American stadium Rock bands.
Steve gave Yes a different personality to those bands (along with Chris & Rick).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.