Yes

Is the right result. Even Jon Anderson believes Awaken is the ultimate Yes song. I agree
I have listened to Yes ever since I was 12, I’m 52 now. Funnily enough, I have never really listened to post 90125 even though I bought ABWH and Union and watched them on all 3 tours. I usually go back and dip into a time when their music was at its best. The Yes Album, GFTO,and Close to the edge being my favourites. A highly rated band that would only appeal to a niche audience, a bit like my other favourites Early Rush and Zeppelin. They were excellent live particularly on the Union tour.

I have listened to Yes ever since I was 12, I’m 52 now. Funnily enough, I have never really listened to post 90125 even though I bought ABWH and Union and watched them on all 3 tours. I usually go back and dip into a time when their music was at its best. The Yes Album, GFTO,and Close to the edge being my favourites. A highly rated band that would only appeal to a niche audience, a bit like my other favourites Early Rush and Zeppelin. They were excellent live particularly on the Union tour.
You need to check out Talk...

Great musicians, but after Awaken they never wrote another song worth listening to. At least Genesis tried to re-invent themselves, with huge commercial rewards.

20​
Parallels
2​
14​
Owner of a Lonely Heart
3​
14​
18​
Tempus Fugit
3​
14​
17​
Perpetual Change
3​
15​
16​
Revealing Science of God
2​
17​
It Can Happen
3​
17​
14​
Turn of the Century
3​
17​
13​
Going for the One
5​
17​
12​
Siberian Khatru
4​
19​
11​
Wondrous Stories
4​
24​
10​
On the Silent Wings of Freedom
5​
24​
9​
Gates of Delirium
4​
25​
8​
Ive Seen All Good People
7​
25​
7​
Heart of the Sunrise
7​
30​
6​
Starship Trooper
8​
39​
5​
Yours is no Disgrace
7​
44​
4​
Roundabout
6​
46​
3​
And You and I
8​
59​
2​
Close to the Edge
8​
67​
1​
Awaken
11​
75​
I can't believe 'The Fish' isn't in the top 20. I thought anyone that has seen the band live would consider it an absolute highlight with Chris's bass riff ripping through your chest cavity.

• Yes split up the songwriting for the Fragile album by having each of the five members compose a song for it. "The Fish" was created by Chris Squire using only the bass guitar. Steve Howe did "Mood For A Day" as a solo guitar piece; "Cans And Brahms" was not only arranged by Rick Wakeman, he played all the parts as well; Jon Anderson sang all the vocal parts in "We Have Heaven" himself; Bill Bruford created "Five Per Cent For Nothing," which was played by the entire group with percussion instruments. >>
  • The title comes from Chris Squire's nickname: he was dubbed "the fish" because of his tendency to take long baths. He also happens to be a Pisces.
  • The subtitle for this song is "Schindleria Praematurus," which is an obscure, neotenic marine fish from the Pacific ocean. "Neotenic" means the adult fish exhibits no adult characteristics, only juvenile characteristics. The story is that Chris Squire had the melody and wanted to sing the name of a fish that had eight syllables, and dispatched a roadie (Maybe Michael Tait) to find one. The best he could find had nine, which is why the last syllable kind of trails off.
  • This is an instrumental. The only lyrics (if you can call them that) are the repeated subtitle of the song - "Schindleria Praematurus, Schindleria Praematurus, Schindleria Praematurus." >>

Great musicians, but after Awaken they never wrote another song worth listening to. At least Genesis tried to re-invent themselves, with huge commercial rewards.
Drama and 90125, both great albums, both better than Topographic Oceans and both better than any Genesis reinvention imo, not much after those two though. That said I thought Quest was going to be a return to form when I heard Ice Bridge unfortunately it wasn’t.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.