Yes

Their Yesshows album was and still is, a curious one for me. I’d first heard, and played a lot, their earlier triple live Yessongs album. For me there was never any doubt about either the track selection or quality of that record - it was just classic after classic.

The 1980 live album though, I just found such a poor comparison when I first heard it, and still have mixed feelings about it, though I have warmed to it more. My greatest live recording ever from them is the 1978 Wembley Empire Pool Friday Rock Show Radio 1 2-hour broadcast, yet the album that was supposed to sum up the 74-78 era was so weak by comparison. Devoting the best part of 2 sides to Ritual from Topographic was indulgent and then some. Added to Delerium taking another of the sides, it left so little room for anything else. Parallels and Don’t Kill the Whale were great, but not including Awaken was just beyond insanity. Silent Wings would've been fabulous too.
I always thought the sound quality on Yessongs to be a bit muddy but the era was encapsulated perfectly.
I have always had similar feelings to you with regards to Shows. The Classic Friday Rock recording was Yes at the very peak of their powers.
It was a bit much to have Gates and Ritual on there agreed and could have done with OTSWOF plus something else instead of Ritual.

I always thought the sound quality on Yessongs to be a bit muddy but the era was encapsulated perfectly.
I have always had similar feelings to you with regards to Shows. The Classic Friday Rock recording was Yes at the very peak of their powers.
It was a bit much to have Gates and Ritual on there agreed and could have done with OTSWOF plus something else instead of Ritual.
Yessongs was muddy but it’s still a wonderful reflection of the band at their creative peak.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.