Yes

Drama and 90125, both great albums, both better than Topographic Oceans and both better than any Genesis reinvention imo, not much after those two though. That said I thought Quest was going to be a return to form when I heard Ice Bridge unfortunately it wasn’t.
thought The Ladder was an ok album.

20​
Parallels
2​
14​
Owner of a Lonely Heart
3​
14​
18​
Tempus Fugit
3​
14​
17​
Perpetual Change
3​
15​
16​
Revealing Science of God
2​
17​
It Can Happen
3​
17​
14​
Turn of the Century
3​
17​
13​
Going for the One
5​
17​
12​
Siberian Khatru
4​
19​
11​
Wondrous Stories
4​
24​
10​
On the Silent Wings of Freedom
5​
24​
9​
Gates of Delirium
4​
25​
8​
Ive Seen All Good People
7​
25​
7​
Heart of the Sunrise
7​
30​
6​
Starship Trooper
8​
39​
5​
Yours is no Disgrace
7​
44​
4​
Roundabout
6​
46​
3​
And You and I
8​
59​
2​
Close to the Edge
8​
67​
1​
Awaken
11​
75​
Thanks for this pal - only just seen this outcome now.

It’s looks like (for the upteenth time) I’m gonna have to go back and listen to 2. and 3. again, and see if I can work out what all the fuss was/is about!

I had “Parallels” as my no1.
A great driving force of a track with everyone on top of their game.
Epitomises the skill, power and ingenuity of all five members.
Much prefer the live version on Yesshows- it has much more drive than the studio version, and the bass and the guitar lines in the opening minute or so are fantastic; one of the great Yes ‘moments’ for me.
I’ve be become more like that over time; I’ve gone from whole albums, to favourite tracks, to favourite parts of tracks - maybe it says something about the way my attention span has altered over the years in some respects ;-)

You prefer the heavier Rock guitar sound.
Steve has always been very into Jazz and classical tones. Which was the reason they got Steve (and sacked his predecessor). They thought it blended in well with their sound. (and he was the only one with that sound in Rock) and gave them a distinctive sound.

I personally prefer Yes with Steve. His style imo suits albums like CTTE, Topographic, The Yes album, the classic Yes years.
With Rabin they began to sound like a hundred other American stadium Rock bands.
Steve gave Yes a different personality to those bands (along with Chris & Rick).
Its not Yes without Steve's guitar. I feel similar with Genesis and Steve Hackett. Both very singular and unique styles.

Gates Of Delerium at the nos 9. Really?

Lost count of the times I've experianced divinity with G.O.D whilst sat in the Sukhasana, with levitation taking place at or between the "Soon" movement : /

Here with The Symphonic Live:

Running 21:55, this was a band composition credited to Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Patrick Moraz, Squire and Alan White. Anderson wrote the lyrics to go along with the music. The song describes a battle, with a prelude, a charge, a moment of victory, and a peace.

"It's about the tribalism between warring factions, and who is the dominant country, the dominant energy at that time,". "It was at the end of the Vietnam War. We were learning about the unbelievable destruction that was done to the Vietnamese, and for what?

The song was written with live performance in mind - the band admits that it didn't translate all that well to a recording. Jon Anderson mentioned it as one of his favorites to play live, and explained: "The record company didn't know what to do with it, but we did, because we were performing it on stage and that was our legacy, to be able to go on stage and perform this music that would never be heard on radio"

Last edited:
Its somewhat difficult when you only have 10 tracks to select from such an extensive catalogue.
Some of the earlier tracks were beyond belief such as .. ..

Last edited:
Gates Of Delerium at the nos 9. Really?

Lost count of the times I've experianced divinity with G.O.D whilst sat in the Sukhasana, with levitation taking place at or between the "Soon" movement : /

Here with The Symphonic Live:

Running 21:55, this was a band composition credited to Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Patrick Moraz, Squire and Alan White. Anderson wrote the lyrics to go along with the music. The song describes a battle, with a prelude, a charge, a moment of victory, and a peace.

"It's about the tribalism between warring factions, and who is the dominant country, the dominant energy at that time,". "It was at the end of the Vietnam War. We were learning about the unbelievable destruction that was done to the Vietnamese, and for what?

The song was written with live performance in mind - the band admits that it didn't translate all that well to a recording. Jon Anderson mentioned it as one of his favorites to play live, and explained: "The record company didn't know what to do with it, but we did, because we were performing it on stage and that was our legacy, to be able to go on stage and perform this music that would never be heard on radio"

Yes I agree Bob it should've been higher. I though Moraz fitted well.
"Soon" is stunningly beautiful, I don't like doing top 10's really as next day I change my mind, I had GOD at 6 but now I would put it at 3 or 4 :)
That symphonic version is awesome btw.

What I love about GOD is that it is a perfect example of all facets of Yes music.
The battle segment is just power + and Soon is one of JA most beautiful pieces ever.
I had Gates as my no 2 choice

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.