Young and new blues: How did you come to support City?

I started becoming interested in City during the 1988-89 season when we nearly ballsed up promotion that time. My first live game was in the 1991-1992 which was a drab 0-0 draw against Wimbledon. And my first season ticket was in the 1999-2000 season.

I didn't grow up in Manchester, I choose to support City when I was about 8/9 because;

a) Everyone at my southern school was a united 'fan', I wanted to be as different as possible.

b) I had a shitload of Terry Phelan stickers in the Merlins Premier League 1993/94 sticker album. Like about 7 Phelans. His peanut-like head just kept showing up in my sticker packets and nobody wanted to swap. I guess you could say City chose me as much as I chose them! And I completed the City team two or three times over before I completed several of the others at all, for some reason.

c) I used to love watching Football Italia in the mornings, totally captivated by how different the atmosphere and all the trimmings were over there - and Lazio were my favourite Italian team (I didn't even know what 'fascism' was at this age obviously tbf) - City played in the same colours, particularly so at the time. This probably subliminally swayed me too.

Well, I'm 31 and I started supporting City in my teens. I live in Canada and was always a huge football fan and fan of the prem. It's the best league to watch on tv, hands down. Fantastic production values. When I was growing up, they would give us 'Soccer Saturday' every week, and it always seemed like United. I started to really dislike them quickly, as I am a big fan of underdogs in sports. I liked Cantona, but that was it. When I found City was their main rival and after reading up on the club, they were the 'true club' of Manchester I fell in like pretty quick. I didn't like how United seamed to be shoved down our throats. I wanted to be with the real team of Manchester.

A few other factors further solidified City for me. Oasis. Yes, I was a massive Oasis fan and when I found out how passionately they supported City I was right with them. Oasis and City had the same sort of appeal to me.

When Samaras signed for City (I'm Greek) I was overjoyed as well. He was one of our best talents coming up and I loved that City signed him. Yes, it didn't work out but he has done very well for our NT and for Celtic so calm down.

So that it's. Been a blue for some 15 years. Will be forever. Now it's like being in fantasy land. Richest club in the world, who would have thought it lol.

Yank blue here. Lived in London from 1998-2005 and my uncle who has grown up as a city boy just a couple of blocks from maine road convinced our whole family to support city. Took a few years to really get behind the club but now I'm as die hard as ever. Trying to make it over at some point for a game this year. First game was 1999 at Maine Road versus crewe alexandra. We won 5-2. Went down 2-0 to two superb goals from Dean Ashton. Then Wanchope and Goater both scored 2 only to be topped off by an absolute stunner from the great Danny Tiatto! Proceeded to see them every time they were in the greater London area. Go on you blues! CTID

I was born (in 1991) with blue blood i suppose. My dad grew up in moss side and went to a primary school called st edwards which was pretty much on the same site as maine road. he comes from a catholic family (united fans) but just seemed to stare out of his class room window at maine road and never looked back. Literally!

So yeh, thanks dad!

Well for me my passion for city started in the early 2000s. And since I live in the states I kinda have a weird start to my love for the team. Since my family HATES "soccer" i never really grew up with any body pushing me to become a fan of any team. My love for the sport actually started in the mid 90s when I met a family friend who was from Gillingham(but supported Liverpool) he opened my eyes to the world of football. I have played ever since! Then in the early 2000s I actually was introduced to the team through the FIFA video game series. Lol I know it is a weird start but I knew it was the team for me since everyone I knew that even watched football supported man u. And from the beginning.I hated united. I am 23 now and never thought that city wouldbecome the team that they have been able to today. I will never have the passion for another team like I do city. Not even for the American sports!

Well I'm 16.I live in Georgia (near Russia and Turkey) I started to support city 4 years ago.and main reason was kinky,one of the best georgian players.and second reason was my feelings about scum united

DAFC-MCFC said:
I've always supported my local team, Dunfermline. I started following City as well in 1996 (i think), when the strip with the kappa logos down the sleeve came out. I was only 8 and my dad took me out to treat me to a new football kit and i thought that was the coolest strip I had ever seen. The fact that I worshipped Oasis also helped as I heard Noel talking about City loads. As i grew up I continued to follow City and I finally managed to get down to a few games over the last few season and hope to get to a few more this season! I've had to tell this story quite a bit over the past year or so as when people up here see me with my City top on, they just assume you are a new City fan, only attracted to the wealth of the club.

loved that kappa strip, also the 1 that helped me become a blue - £14.99 from jjb what a bargain. I get the same here in shetland everyone thinks im a glory hunter but i have been here since d2. I just bring out my old samaras shirt and nobody can say anything, only a true blue would ever have a city shit with him on the back

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.