Your best day as a City fan?

Exeter Blue I am here said:
de niro said:
interesting bump. i suppose this will change year on year as we contiue to rack up great days.

i have been going 50 years and had some unbelievable times watching city. the title in 68, cup wins the 6-1 and of course the gillingham game. all those though pale into insignificence when compared to the augero title, the cup semi final v the rags and the cup win against stoke that ended our drought also were magnificent but nothing can touch that augeroooooo moment.

Whilst winning the title in 2012 was unquestionably the best day, in terms of the adrenaline rush Dickov at Wembley still shades Agueroooooooo for me. Perhaps there was just so much riding on the QPR game that the sheer relief of that goal and its implications (ie not losing the title to those fucking c**ts), Just took away a tiny fraction of the intensity, whereas nothing could sate the sheer ecstasy of Dickov's goal as I fell over those shitty little bench seats and screamed and screamed and screamed. And perhaps like Billy Bragg one said "It's never the same after the first time........"

I also thought that Blackburn away the following season (4-1 promotion) was a very special day - hot sunny day, Blues everywhere, woodwork hit time after time and we came back and won 4-1, not the best day (qpr for me) but a great day; would also add Charlton 5-1 and Bradford 1-1 as great days, with "Old City"

Despite almost 50 years of City memories I think it's impossible to look past the QPR match as being the most important day for the club. Yes there have been matches previously that we know paved the way for that moment to happen, Blackburn, FA Cup semi final, 6 - 1 and most importantly Gillingham but that game against QPR just had all the elements combined to produce a classic sporting moment. The prize for winning that match was huge but the implications of losing were even greater, we would have been football's 'chokers', the morale of the team would have been devastated and the title would have gone to the rags. As it happens 3 minutes changed our lives and produced one of the greatest comebacks in sporting history personally, I'm just grateful I was there to witness it.

Two games that stand out for me as a kid are the quarter final and semi final of the Cup Winners Cup. I'd be eleven or twelve and I can't remember being more nervous at a game than I was against Coimbra. It was a night match, always exciting, it went to extra time which at that time meant staying up late and then Tony Towers came off the bench and scored. We bought chips on Yew Tree Road on the way home and I was that excited I threw up all night. The semi against Shalke at home and a 5 - 1 win was just one of the best games I can remember.

Lots lately but I'd choose the Stoke FA cup final

Very emotional

(May have over indulged in the Green Man ahead of the game which added to the euphoria)

the 3-2 will never be topped though... Still can't watch it without getting emotional

Well the QPR game is what you would think it would be it - especially with the added delight of stuffing the scum fuckers when they thought they had won - but I think Gillingham '99 edged that.

But strangely doing the conga at Blackburn (you had to be there to understand) in 2000 is the one that I would choose.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Blackburn+V+Manchester+City+promotion&FORM=VIRE5#view=detail&mid=29AD6E494271B3D0C85C29AD6E494271B3D0C85C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bla ... 71B3D0C85C</a>

Look at the fans - and we were the away team!!!! I was staying over the night before the game and there were CITY fans all over the town buying tickets from Blackburn fans - and of course we did it the typical CITY way.

Aguero's goal was by far my best moment as a City fan and it will never be beaten. Blackburn away, 4-1 was great, last derby at Maine Road was great and of course that Gillingham game. But as my best day, one that sticks out was the last game of the season 2001/02. Portsmouth at Maine Road. Was just a complete party atmosphere all game, then it spilled out onto the streets band then into town. City fans every where. After that game, the last game ever at Maine Road (the season after) was a bit of an anti climax.

Not sure why but the 4-0 semi-final 2nd leg victory v Middlesbrough in 1976 (after losing the 1st leg 1-0 at Ayresome Park). One of the great atmospheres at Maine Road despite the rain\cold (and being in the open end of the Kippax near the North stand, the end where Ged Keegan and Alan Oakes scored their goals)

A similar result today would be nice.

BringBackSwales said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
de niro said:
interesting bump. i suppose this will change year on year as we contiue to rack up great days.

i have been going 50 years and had some unbelievable times watching city. the title in 68, cup wins the 6-1 and of course the gillingham game. all those though pale into insignificence when compared to the augero title, the cup semi final v the rags and the cup win against stoke that ended our drought also were magnificent but nothing can touch that augeroooooo moment.

Whilst winning the title in 2012 was unquestionably the best day, in terms of the adrenaline rush Dickov at Wembley still shades Agueroooooooo for me. Perhaps there was just so much riding on the QPR game that the sheer relief of that goal and its implications (ie not losing the title to those fucking c**ts), Just took away a tiny fraction of the intensity, whereas nothing could sate the sheer ecstasy of Dickov's goal as I fell over those shitty little bench seats and screamed and screamed and screamed. And perhaps like Billy Bragg one said "It's never the same after the first time........"

I also thought that Blackburn away the following season (4-1 promotion) was a very special day - hot sunny day, Blues everywhere, woodwork hit time after time and we came back and won 4-1, not the best day (qpr for me) but a great day; would also add Charlton 5-1 and Bradford 1-1 as great days, with "Old City"

All the above were fantastic days, in the end. For a whole day, going to Wembley in 1976 was pretty special. I was a kid and we made a weekend of it in London. Mum went shopping, my Dad and Our Kid had seats at the game and I went on the terraces. However, just for that moment on 93:20.....

The Kun goal. I have been going since 77 and waited a long, long time for that. Never to be beaten. The first time is always special and the way we did it with the rags being fucked over was top draw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.