your dad

me and my Dad argue like cat & dog a lot of the time but mostly at the match and we hate it everytime it happens but we just can't help it. He had a bit of a scare a few weeks back and I had to rush him to the hozzy because they thought he'd had a minor stroke, he hadn't had one (luckily) and it certainly brought home the fact that I could lose him at any moment, I vowed to myself to stop the bickering.
My Dad took me to MR in 1974 for the first time when I was 3 and TBH I've always joking blamed him for making my life a misery for supporting such an inept club, when we won the FA Cup I thanked him for it and he was really chuffed, I think he actually believed that I blamed him.

My dad did a runner a couple of weeks before I was born, changed his keys and locks and has never bothered to stay in any sort of contact with my family.

Couldn't care less if he was dead to be honest, I can understand anyone who has had an awful relationship with their father not caring if they have never received any love in the first place.

My mom has raised me on her own and my uncle has essentially acted as my surrogate father. He introduced me to City, taking me to City v Sunderland in 2003 and we still go to a few games together every season.

My Dad was diagnosed with cancer just a few weeks before we won the league. At that stage we had no idea on his prognosis or anything like that. He's a massive blue aswell, and as cheesy as it sounds, being sat next to him as we won the league meant the absolute world to me...and probably to him too. I'm his only biological son (he adopted my brother who's a rag - what can you do eh) and I still live at home so spend a fair bit of time with him. Sometimes he irritates me and sometimes I irritate him, but we're really close as always have been.

He introduced me to City. He took me to Main Road when I was 6 and passed me down to the front of the Kippax so I could see. Haha. He shouted obscenities at Paul Merson for impairing our view in the main stand. He even bought me a Man City hat for Christmas and and wrote on the tag "To Jonathan, from Nial Quinn." - I believed him.

My favourite memory of him is how he would often by me a wrestling figure from Glossop market on his way to pick me up from school, only to realise it was 'window cleaning day' so we'd get home and hide on the landing (the only place in the house without a window) so it looked like we weren't in. Poor bloke would have to call back for the money later in the night when my Mum was home, with her purse.

I couldn't imagine not gettin on with my Mum or Dad, or Brother for that matter, even though he's a rag. They've shaped me into the person I am and they've always done their best to give me whatever I wanted. I'll miss them when I move out. I hate to think what it would be like when they're no longer here.

I had a terrible relationship with mine which still gets me down about 20 years after he died. My Parents were divorced at a young age and my Dad left the Country. I used to speak to him once a week on the phone for about 10 minutes (usually being asked the same questions) and I'd see him up to twice a year. He hadn't applied for custody when my Parents split up but Mum still allowed us to see him whenever he was over here or, on rare occasions, we went over to where he was. The only summer away I recall was when he claimed he'd been unable to get a full week off work so my Sister and I spent days with random family members and he'd take us to the local Pub in the evening. He went on a proper holiday himself the next month. I also remember a Christmas where he claimed he was coming over a week before (agreement with Mum) but then cancelled that morning which meant no presents.

It was obvious he wasn't well for a while but months later he was eventually taken to Hospital for tests and was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer. He died within 3 months and it was something I'd never expected because I was too young to understand what was happening. Family politics boiled over after his death and I severed ties with many of them afterwards. I don't think I've seen some of them for 15 years.

With my Dad, all I really knew was a selfish, dishonest man who drank too much, smoked too much and didn't eat properly. If I ever have Kids then I'll do everything I can for them throughout my life. If only to rectify what I experienced.

My Dad passed away in November 2011.

He took most of my uncles and aunties to Maine Road, who in turn passed it on to their kids. There's usually a dozen of us (including my Mam) who turn up at every match. At his funeral in Salford there was diehard Utd fans who wore City tops for the day.

Minutes after we beat QPR, I had a text from an Everton fan he worked with on the docks. It read: "I'm so happy for you and your family. Your Dad will be so proud tonight in heaven".

peoffrey said:
I had a terrible relationship with mine which still gets me down about 20 years after he died. My Parents were divorced at a young age and my Dad left the Country. I used to speak to him once a week on the phone for about 10 minutes (usually being asked the same questions) and I'd see him up to twice a year. He hadn't applied for custody when my Parents split up but Mum still allowed us to see him whenever he was over here or, on rare occasions, we went over to where he was. The only summer away I recall was when he claimed he'd been unable to get a full week off work so my Sister and I spent days with random family members and he'd take us to the local Pub in the evening. He went on a proper holiday himself the next month. I also remember a Christmas where he claimed he was coming over a week before (agreement with Mum) but then cancelled that morning which meant no presents.

It was obvious he wasn't well for a while but months later he was eventually taken to Hospital for tests and was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer. He died within 3 months and it was something I'd never expected because I was too young to understand what was happening. Family politics boiled over after his death and I severed ties with many of them afterwards. I don't think I've seen some of them for 15 years.

With my Dad, all I really knew was a selfish, dishonest man who drank too much, smoked too much and didn't eat properly. If I ever have Kids then I'll do everything I can for them throughout my life. If only to rectify what I experienced.

I`m a grown man,43 yrs old but this thread has had me welling up!

You think your the only one who has that special bond with your dad regardless of how long you know/knew him and you feel cheated for not having him there like a proper dad should be weather its because they died early or were just knobs.
I would do anything to have him back and for me and him to go watch City together again. Those who do that are very lucky and i envy you.

Ive got a brother and sister living in runcorn and shropshire respectively and i see them maybe once a year. My family are my two kids and i also want to give my son the kind of dad that i never had. Thats why i implore those dads who dont really bother with there kids to get in touch and love them like no other. They will love you back like no other to.

brand blue heavies said:
peoffrey said:

I`m a grown man,43 yrs old but this thread has had me welling up!

You think your the only one who has that special bond with your dad regardless of how long you know/knew him and you feel cheated for not having him there like a proper dad should be weather its because they died early or were just knobs.
I would do anything to have him back and for me and him to go watch City together again. Those who do that are very lucky and i envy you.

Ive got a brother and sister living in runcorn and shropshire respectively and i see them maybe once a year. My family are my two kids and i also want to give my son the kind of dad that i never had. Thats why i implore those dads who dont really bother with there kids to get in touch and love them like no other. They will love you back like no other to.

My best mate doesn't know who his Dad is. His Mum has never told him. And my Ex-Girlfriend's Dad left when she was 12 and didn't make contact for 10 years. And, after he did, he never fulfilled his promise to come over from Spain to see her so she fucked him off for ever.

I'd rather not think about what things would be like between me and my Dad now had he not died (i.e. been diagnosed with Bowel Cancer months earlier - good survival rate with an early spot) but I'm fairly sure I'd have drifted away from him by now. I didn't used to enjoy spending time with him back then.

I remember when I was a kid, me n my Dad had a great relationship. We were always laughing and playing footy together and sumo wrestling too haha! He'd always take me to City in the late 80's and through the 90's.

Something changed though, I think he stopped liking me at some point. Now we hardly talk. I went to Blackburn away with him (Džeko late winner last year), we left at about 3pm for a night kick off as I said we could have a meal and something to eat at a pub. We got home at about 11:30pm and throughout all them hours we barely had one or two conversations, just awkward silence.

The relationship we have is really weird now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.