Your first city game

1977 - H Leicester, 0-0, crowd about 40K (ground could hold 55k, just to emphasise how well geordies did saturday)

Scunthorpe at home in the FA Cup 75/76. Won 6-0. Tueart scored three and promptly got sent off for nutting one of the scunny players who stamped on his ankle.

Uwes Grandad said:
Scunthorpe at home in the FA Cup 75/76. Won 6-0. Tueart scored three and promptly got sent off for nutting one of the scunny players who stamped on his ankle.

Did'nt he fracture his skull or his cheekbone or something? I know the Scunthorpe player spent some time in hospital.

I seem to have a knack of picking significant games.

My first was home against Luton in 1983. Last game of the season. We all know what happened then. Bloody Pleat. I remember standing outside the main entrance after the game and let's say the mood wasn't happy.

A few years later I was actually working at Maine Rd. My first game as staff was against Huddersfield when we happened to knock 1 or 2 or 10 goals past them. Spent the first half with a 100 or so Hudds fans in the Platt Lane end. Let's say they weren't happy when we were cheering but we had our high vis jackets on and caused no bother.

My last game working there was on Sept 23 1989 when we happened to put 5 goals past some tinpot side from Salford.

1978. Home to West Brom. The score finished 2-2.
I'm sure I can still remember the City line up. It would have been Corrigan, Ranson, Donachie, Watson, Booth, Tueart, Owen, Barnes, Hartford, Power, Kidd.
Can't say I remember much about the game, but I'm sure Asa Hartford scored. My boyhood hero was Tueart, so I probably watched him most of the game.
Eeee, we had a good side in those days.

It's something that has bugged me for years. Everybody seems to know what their first game was, but I don't :-(
I've tried asking those that would have took me but they can't tell me, as they went to every game at the time and don't know which specific game it was. They can't even tell me what season it was! All they can tell me is that I would have been about 2 or 3, therefore around the 1968/69 season and that it would have more than likely been in the Platt Lane.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.