Your signature dish.

mansour's tow ropes said:
slightly off topic, but a concern of mine.

is it me or are roast dinners overrated? I've tried a couple since starting uni this year, but its just so much hassle and effort for a meal that doesn't have a lot of finesse or real nice taste.

my second point; how can i improve the quality of my roasts? i don't know how to flavour all the different components properly, what are everyone's tips for a real sophisticated roast dinner?

par boil your spuds before roasting and roast in duck fat or dripping for extra crispiness. Your joint of meat should be seasoned well and sealed on all sides before roasting in an oven at 160-170c. If you have a meat thermometer, use it!! stick it in the thickest pat of the flesh at an angle of 45degrees and have it pointing towards you so you can see it through the glass. When you take your meat out, collect the juices for your gravy, then cover the meat and let it rest for 20mins or so before carving.

When putting Yorkshire pudding batter into baking trays, make sure the oil in the slots is smoking hot before you pour in the mixture ready for the oven.

Everyone's different about roast spuds. I like to par boil in Chicken stock then roast using Flora Cuisine oil, squirt on each spud roast and its perfect everytime. Look at my earlier Beercan Chicken for a great way to do a chicken.

andyhinch said:
maccadon said:
stavros said:
follow jamie olivers recipe (try looking for it on google)
dont cut any corners or substitute anything.
you wont regret it. absolutely fuckin beautiful

Thanks i will give it a bash
Not tried James but love the stuff always go heavy on the paprika

Am gonna do it Friday night instead of my usual takeaway.so will let you know the result

paphos-mcfc said:

is it me or are roast dinners overrated? I've tried a couple since starting uni this year, but its just so much hassle and effort for a meal that doesn't have a lot of finesse or real nice taste.

my second point; how can i improve the quality of my roasts? i don't know how to flavour all the different components properly, what are everyone's tips for a real sophisticated roast dinner?

par boil your spuds before roasting and roast in duck fat or dripping for extra crispiness. Your joint of meat should be seasoned well and sealed on all sides before roasting in an oven at 160-170c. If you have a meat thermometer, use it!! stick it in the thickest pat of the flesh at an angle of 45degrees and have it pointing towards you so you can see it through the glass. When you take your meat out, collect the juices for your gravy, then cover the meat and let it rest for 20mins or so before carving.

When putting Yorkshire pudding batter into baking trays, make sure the beef dripping in the slots is smoking hot before you pour in the mixture ready for the oven.
just my opinion and don't forget the horseradish sauce, swede and carrot mash and buttered spring greens

johnny crossan said:
paphos-mcfc said:

When putting Yorkshire pudding batter into baking trays, make sure the beef dripping in the slots is smoking hot before you pour in the mixture ready for the oven.
just my opinion and don't forget the horseradish sauce, swede and carrot mash and buttered spring greens

Extra crispy Yorkshires, I'll have it. Don't think my ticker would be too pleased though.

I've gone nuts this week with soups. So far I've done a crab, shrimp, corn chowder along with a roasted tomato bisque and a butternut squash/apple puree soup.

You really can't go wrong because they can be frozen and heated up any time for a nice meal.

Spicy mashed stew.

It's basically traditional stew but with plenty of ginger and chillis to give it a punch.

Once cooked drain the liquid into another pan and pick out the chunks of meat and halved mushrooms.

Mash the rest of it up and serve in a deep dish. Place the meat and mushrooms around the mashed veg then pour over some of the liquid.
Finally sprinkle over some chopped coriander.

I've served this up to mates and they've raved about it and demanded the recipe but its just normal stew that is served in a different way. Looks fancy. Tastes ace.

Lucky Toma said:
Spicy mashed stew.

It's basically traditional stew but with plenty of ginger and chillis to give it a punch.

Once cooked drain the liquid into another pan and pick out the chunks of meat and halved mushrooms.

Mash the rest of it up and serve in a deep dish. Place the meat and mushrooms around the mashed veg then pour over some of the liquid.
Finally sprinkle over some chopped coriander.

I've served this up to mates and they've raved about it and demanded the recipe but its just normal stew that is served in a different way. Looks fancy. Tastes ace.

I love using ginger.

Has anyone tried out any of these recipes (obviously not the posters providing them) and anyone got any feedback?

strongbowholic said:
Has anyone tried out any of these recipes (obviously not the posters providing them) and anyone got any feedback?

"smudgedj", tried my slow roast lamb, smeared with jam recipe.
Too sweet for him, but his guest's loved it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.