Your very first car

Citroen 2CV top speed 55 mph , loved it you could get 12 in if you wound the roof back and they all stood up. Driving to local pub in Norfolk think it was called the jolly farmers near raf coltishall in 86

When Fiats of that era did run, their top speed improved each year. This was on account of aerodynamic perforation combined with weight loss through rusting. Alfa and Lancia ditto.

Important considerations like build-quality and reliability didn't seem too high on Fiat's priority list...! Only found out much much later about a known issue of hairline cracks in the distributor-caps which explained the car's dislike of anything involving moisture.

12 year old at the time 1967 E’ reg Ford Cortina mk 2 1600e in aubergine, had it about 3 months and it was stolen and written off. Gutted as by coincidence the number plate was HOT, might have been worth something if I’d have kept it.

This is mine:

jcarstory_12.jpg

She's a beauty, ain't she. I had the super powerful 1.3l version producing about 6 horsepower. I'm am told it would do 0 to 60, although I don't think mine ever managed it.

Mine was this colour as well btw. With green cloth seats and green dashboard and steering wheel. Lovely.

I followed it with this gem:

main-pic.png

I pulled up outside a pub in Wiltshire not long after I had got it, and another bloke pulled up alongside in the exact same car. He got out and, beaming with pride said, "They are great these aren't they". I looked at him like something I had trodden in, and walked off, without saying a word.

Hillman Avenger cost £50 off my brother in law. One of the very first keyless cars, a pair of scissors or a screwdriver in the ignition would get it started.

I had the other keyless car. A Morris Minor, I could put a shilling ( 5p piece for any younguns ) across the fuse box and then, like a deranged idiot, do a Le Mans type start.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.