Mark Clattenburg

Looks convincing to me
I posted this just after the game:

Unfortunately Sky didn't replay this one and I couldn't freeze it at the moment the ball was kicked - this is 1/2 a second after Yaya kicked it. And even then you can see Aguero is clearly on side (note the Spurs defender just out of shot on the left). He was even more on side when the ball was kicked.

Now look at where the official is. He can see perfectly well that Aguero is onside, and yet he raises his flag. Basically, he's bent.

2mffd55.jpg

I posted this just after the game:

Unfortunately Sky didn't replay this one and I couldn't freeze it at the moment the ball was kicked - this is 1/2 a second after Yaya kicked it. And even then you can see Aguero is clearly on side (note the Spurs defender just out of shot on the left). He was even more on side when the ball was kicked.

Now look at where the official is. He can see perfectly well that Aguero is onside, and yet he raises his flag. Basically, he's bent.

2mffd55.jpg

http://www.leicestershirefa.com/news/2014/dec/congratulations-john-brooks?c=1

Hidden agenda maybe..

Chippy,
Thanks. I don't recall that one, but that looks pretty clear.

Indeed, it's not really that close.

At the time Yaya kicks it, Aguero hasn't even begun to turn. Even where I have frozen it, Aguero's head is to the right and his body is not leaning goalwards. He must be at least a foot onside and what's more, the linesman has a clear view of that.

It's not one of those split second things where a player is sprinting past a stationary last defender when the ball is kicked and it's really hard to judge exactly at the moment whether he's on side or not. Sergio doesn't play like that. He hangs on the last defenders shoulder, he knows exactly what he's doing and is rarely - very rarely - offside. This was an easy decision for any official.

I can't think of any reason why an an unbiased official would raise his flag there, none at all.

The problem is that the people running City are too nice, too polite.
If old Whisky Nose across the way had had half these bad decisions given against him back in the day, all hell would have broken loose.

Plus, the Sheikh badly needs to buy a newspaper and a TV station to counteract to endless negative propaganda.

The offsides in the second half were right in front of us. At the time, I thought they were all onside as did most of the east stand. Watched it carefully on freeze frame afterwards and the first was marginally offside I thought. The second was clearly onside and would have given Aguero the clearest chance. The third was marginally onside. But given that the linesman has to be sure, I would say he should have let them all go. That he flagged immediately for all three tells me he had a preset agenda.
Sorry, but they can't be marginally offside or onside. They either are or they aren't. If it is 'marginal' it should always be onside as the benefit of the doubt always goes to the attacking side. A good example is the first Spurs goal at WHL. Let's assume that the assistant, for whatever reason, hasn't seen the offside (and we have to presume he hasn't) then he can't give it. By the same logic, they cannot give Aguero offside. A decision means your sure you've seen something. No decision means you haven't or aren't sure. The latter one is much easer to understand than the former.

Sorry, but they can't be marginally offside or onside. They either are or they aren't. If it is 'marginal' it should always be onside as the benefit of the doubt always goes to the attacking side. A good example is the first Spurs goal at WHL. Let's assume that the assistant, for whatever reason, hasn't seen the offside (and we have to presume he hasn't) then he can't give it. By the same logic, they cannot give Aguero offside. A decision means your sure you've seen something. No decision means you haven't or aren't sure. The latter one is much easer to understand than the former.

Being marginally offside makes you offside. If the linesman sees it that way, he may think "oh he's only a little offside" but he's still offside. It doesn't stop it being marginal, and being marginal doesn't make it not offside.
If the linesman doesn't think you're offside, then you're not.

The decision is black and white. Marginality is a basis for argument of no consequence. It's a bit like pregnancy.

Indeed....

The Leicestershire & Rutland County FA would like to extend its congratulations to John Brooks following his promotion to the FIFA List of Assistant Referees from 01 January 2015.

If you go down that line, you'll run out linesmen pretty quickly, as many will support a team with something to play for. Anyone who isn't Everton, basically.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.