Pablo Maffeo - 2016/2017 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sturridge is a strange one imo.

Has always had loads of talent but always seems to be in need of advice about how to play football. And of course spends so much time unavailable for selection, & it was the same even back then.
Sturridge left because we wouldn't pay him the silly money he , or his agent(father), was demanding.

Sturridge left because we wouldn't pay him the silly money he , or his agent(father), was demanding.

Don't want to keep going off topic but IIRC there was - as stated above - more to it than that and I did at the time hear things from within the dressing room.

Might have been something to do with that clueless twat Hughes picking fellow Welshman and clueless twat Evans ahead of him?

Might have been something to do with that clueless twat Hughes picking fellow Welshman and clueless twat Evans ahead of him?

I really don't remember much about it but I think lack of game time was part of the issue and there's no doubt Sturridge, rightly, wanted an improved deal, and I think Hughes may have been telling the club not to sanction one. What I do recall is that, based on something I was told back then, I have never bought into the widely accepted greedy bastard tag.

I really don't remember much about it but I think lack of game time was part of the issue and there's no doubt Sturridge, rightly, wanted an improved deal, and I think Hughes may have been telling the club not to sanction one. What I do recall is that, based on something I was told back then, I have never bought into the widely accepted greedy bastard tag.
We were giving him fuck all game time but I think Chelsea offered him something mental like 60k a week as well.

I seem to have wondered into the Daniel Sturridge thread, which is weird because I'm sure I clicked on the Maffeo one...

The complaint has been fully justified under the last two managers, both of whom used young players as pawns or cannon fodder & had no interest whatsoever in developing them.

Team spirit became non existent under both.

I have no complaints whatsoever about Pep, he is doing exactly what we asked for, giving young players a few minutes here & there to become accustomed to higher level football. It's a pity we didn't get a cushy home draw in the league cup, as he could have used that to bring through more of them.

If Pep had been at Ciy for the past five years, I think one or two of the kids who have stagnated & all but gone now, would be potential first team players, & at very least, squad players to fill in gaps.

I recon Pep will bring through a bunch of them, some just for short term, others for longer & we will see one or two very decent performances from kids in the coming seasons, even if those kids are then moved on as 'not quite good enough'.

We have had loads of kids good enough to 'do a job' for the first team squad. But unfortunately, two appallingly selfish managers who would throw them to the wolves when it suited them, but have no faith to even give them 5 mins, when it didn't.

Hope we never have such characters in charge of our club again.

Funnily enough, for a video I made today for BMRTV I decided to do the research on how Pep compares with Pellers this time last season in terms of youth development - thought that was the fairest way to do it.

Last season by this date:
Kelechi (119 minutes),
Evans (1),
M.Garcia (21).

That equates to 141 minutes. If you wanted to (VERY generously) add Patrick Roberts there would be another 55 minutes. That'd be generous simply because we signed him for about £11m.

There was also around 20 unused substitute appearances for people like Maffeo (3 times), Denayer, Manu Garcia, Barker (eight times!), George Evans, Glendon and a few for Roberts too.

This season by this date:

Maffeo (180minutes)
Angelino (90)
Garcia (180)
Adarabioyo (30)
Brahim (13)

That equates to 493 minutes. There has then only been 3 or 4 (I can't be arsed going to check back again, but it's defo 3 or 4) unused sub appearances with Gunn being two of them and Adarabioyo one, possibly Maffeo the other.

That minute count absolutely batters Pellegrini's already. The most stark thing about is the amount of unused sub appearances our kids made last season too at this stage. We were in the middle of a huge crisis so loads of them were getting on the bench, but laughably none of them were ever used and it became a running joke. We'd have a bench that looked something like this: Caballero, Maffeo, Demichelis, Fernando, Evans, Barker, Navas....and you could joke beforehand that the three subs would be Demichelis, Fernando and Navas and it happened EVERY SINGLE TIME. It was depressing. Whereas compare this with Pep - if the kid is there, he treats them as a first teamer and has actually more or less used them each time they've been there. There is a CLEAR difference in mentality towards them and this is just the tip of the iceberg under Pep.

493 minutes to 141, when Pep didn't even have the injury crisis that MP had. Last season MP chose to run our already thin squad into the ground every weak, despite the injuries, instead of just giving a Bryan, a Barker, an Evans, a Celina or whoever a go during the Sep/Oct/Nov months to see if he could stretch the squad out more and perhaps unearth an option. He refused because 1) he doesn't trust them or youth 2) he's stubborn and has his favourites 3) he's a coward or 4) isn't very good and got it drastically wrong. There is no way that any of them would have been SO bad that it wouldn't have been worth the risk. Evans is doing well in the Championship, Celina is one of the Eredivise's standout players for example. Maybe not world stars, but good, solid, eager players.

They're the facts, can't argue with them.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, for a video I made today for BMRTV I decided to do the research on how Pep compares with Pellers this time last season in terms of youth development - thought that was the fairest way to do it.

Kelechi (119 minutes),
Evans (1),
M.Garcia (21).

That equates to 141 minutes. If you wanted to (VERY generously) add Patrick Roberts there would be another 55 minutes. That'd be generous simply because we signed him for about £11m.

There was also around 20 unused substitute appearances for people like Maffeo (3 times), Denayer, Manu Garcia, Barker (eight times!), George Evans, Glendon and a few for Roberts too.

Maffeo (180minutes)
Angelino (90)
Garcia (180)
Adarabioyo (30)
Brahim (13)

That equates to 493 minutes. There has then only been 3 or 4 (I can't be arsed going to check back again, but it's defo 3 or 4) unused sub appearances with Gunn being two of them and Adarabioyo one, possibly Maffeo the other.

That minute count absolutely batters Pellegrini's already. The most stark thing about is the amount of unused sub appearances our kids made last season too at this stage. We were in the middle of a huge crisis so loads of them were getting on the bench, but laughably none of them were ever used and it became a running joke. We'd have a bench that looked something like this: Caballero, Maffeo, Demichelis, Fernando, Evans, Barker, Navas....and you could joke beforehand that the three subs would be Demichelis, Fernando and Navas and it happened EVERY SINGLE TIME. It was depressing. Whereas compare this with Pep - if the kid is there, he treats them as a first teamer and has actually more or less used them each time they've been there. There is a CLEAR difference in mentality towards them and this is just the tip of the iceberg under Pep.

493 minutes to 141, when Pep didn't even have the injury crisis that MP had. Last season MP chose to run our already thin squad into the ground every weak, despite the injuries, instead of just giving a Bryan, a Barker, an Evans, a Celina or whoever a go during the Sep/Oct/Nov months to see if he could stretch the squad out more and perhaps unearth an option. He refused because 1) he doesn't trust them or youth 2) he's stubborn and has his favourites 3) he's a coward or 4) isn't very good and got it drastically wrong. There is no way that any of them would have been SO bad that it wouldn't have been worth the risk. Evans is doing well in the Championship, Celina is one of the Eredivise's standout players for example. Maybe not world stars, but good, solid, eager players.

5) he was just keeping the seat warm.

Kelechi (119 minutes),
Evans (1),
M.Garcia (21).

Maffeo (180minutes)
Angelino (90)
Garcia (180)
Adarabioyo (30)
Brahim (13)

493 minutes to 141, when Pep didn't even have the injury crisis that MP had. Last season MP chose to run our already thin squad into the ground every weak, despite the injuries, instead of just giving a Bryan, a Barker, an Evans, a Celina or whoever a go during the Sep/Oct/Nov months to see if he could stretch the squad out more and perhaps unearth an option. He refused because 1) he doesn't trust youth 2) he's stubborn 3) he's a coward or 4) isn't very good. There is no way that any of them would have been SO bad that it wouldn't have been worth the risk. Evans is doing well in the Championship, Celina is one of the Eredivise's standout players for example. Maybe not world stars, but good, solid, eager players.

I agree with your overall point, Pep has been better, as I said in my comment above, but some of these things you're seeing with Pep-tinted glasses - the idea that Pep's nearly always used a youth teamer when they've been on the bench is not true at all.

4/4 unused subs for Gunn like you said, Maffeo has been unused on the bench 4/4 times he's been listed a sub, Angelino 1/2 times he's been on the bench and Garcia 2/6.

So that's 5 sub appearances for those 3 outfield players from 12 times on the bench. He leaves them on the bench 60% of the time.

And of the 5 times Garcia has came on, two of those appearances were for 4 and 7 minutes - and I seem to remember you complaining a lot about how useless Pellegrini was for giving Iheanacho very late substitutions last season - so I know you don't think much of those appearances for Garcia if you're judging Pep by the same standard.

Also 491 minutes sounds grand but 30% of that has come when we're 5 or 6 goals up against Steuau Bucharest, and 36% was in a League Cup tie Pep was throwing away by playing the second string. While it's nice to see them play in those games, I don't see that as a massive achievement, I'm more interested in seeing them get meaningful minutes in the league or serious cup ties because that's what really counts, and that's how we'll know they are breaking through.

And lets not forget that Angelino and Maffeo have both had professional experience now when Pep is choosing them. Angelino was on loan this time last year, and Maffeo didn't have the experience of playing in very high pressure promotion and play-off games yet.

Like I said, I agree with you and it's obvious to anyone looking at it that Guardiola has been much better, but can't agree with the claim he always plays them if he puts them on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.