A mark of respect for the Manchester terror attack?

I'm getting fed up of football matches being turned into remembrance ceremonies. When did football become the standard bearer for artificial displays of mass grief? What has football got to do with wars? What purpose does it serve? Do the police, paramedics, medical staff, stewards and those others who witnessed and dealt with the terrible events 3 months suddenly feel so much better because 50,000 football fans clapped for a minute.

It seems Diana's death ten years ago turned us into grief junkies, ready to weep and wail en masse for things we only saw on TV about people we didn't know.

I go to games to watch football. If I want to show my respects to someone who's died or the soldiers who gave their lives then I'll go to the funeral, write to the family or go to a Cenotaph ceremony. But nowadays every game turns into a mini-remembrance ceremony for someone most have never heard of or met.

Give it a fucking rest.

Please stop bringing up Dianas death. Still so raw.

And I of all people should have known that as at that time I was in London Monday to Friday and working just yards from Westminster Abbey. Trying to get down the stairs to St James Park tube on the Friday was like swimming against a rip tide.
I was 31 at the time and on the Sunday she died should have been playing Sunday league football for The Farmyard pub in Harpurhey but they postoned all the games that day, i was fuckin furious!

I'm getting fed up of football matches being turned into remembrance ceremonies. When did football become the standard bearer for artificial displays of mass grief? What has football got to do with wars? What purpose does it serve? Do the police, paramedics, medical staff, stewards and those others who witnessed and dealt with the terrible events 3 months suddenly feel so much better because 50,000 football fans clapped for a minute.

It seems Diana's death ten years ago turned us into grief junkies, ready to weep and wail en masse for things we only saw on TV about people we didn't know.

I go to games to watch football. If I want to show my respects to someone who's died or the soldiers who gave their lives then I'll go to the funeral, write to the family or go to a Cenotaph ceremony. But nowadays every game turns into a mini-remembrance ceremony for someone most have never heard of or met.

Give it a fucking rest.

Jesus! What a pity it was annoying for you.

The vast majority of the fans last night clearly felt it was exactly the right thing to do.

I could understand applause for someone you'd applaud if they were alive but the idea of applauding because someone's been murderered seems frankly macabre.

It is to show appreciation of their lives not their deaths and appears to have replaced a minutes silence to stop the embarrassment of people breaking it. I have mixed feelings on these things and can see both sides of the argument but I thought last night's applause went very well.

My dad croaked a couple of years ago aged 80. Took me to my first game at Maine road, loved football and loved some of our newer players (silva/kompany/kdb). The last thing he. or i for that matter, would want is a 'tribute' at the game.

Got sent a facebook request for a minutes silence last night for some random bloke i've never seen.met or heard of.
Enough is enough surely?
People just love to be seen doing something good. Especially on Facebook. Marking remembrance seems to be what it is for football fans.

I wasn't in favour of doing anything for the bomb last night since it had absolutely nowt to do with football. However, since it was such a big thing for the city I'd like that to be the very last one we do.

Use the end of year minute's SILENCE (stop making it an applause!) for all remembrances for the year, just like it used to be. Or for any fallen in war or terror use 11am on 11th November in front of your teles/radios/local cenotaphs

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus! What a pity it was annoying for you.

The vast majority of the fans last night clearly felt it was exactly the right thing to do.

^^
the vast majority of people in the ground joined in and felt it was right to do so as you say.

Give it a fucking rest.
It's what started the grieving mentality. The media locked on and virtually shamed every fucker that didn't give a shit about it as we had no special link/relationship to her.

Back on topic. I thought it was a nice touch using the colours of Catalonia in solidarity last night. Made me realise how many tourists were sitting around me too when the clapping started and they all looked bemused.

^^
the vast majority of people in the ground joined in and felt it was right to do so as you say.

I'm not normally a fan of a minute's applause because there seems to be one at almost every home game these days for someone that has passed away but the Arena attack was a devastatingly huge event in our city's history and as it was our first home game since it happened I felt it was right that it was marked in some way. I'd have probably preferred a minute's silence but was happy to go along with the majority on this occasion.

Also, those saying that the attack had nothing to do with football are missing the point. This was an attack on our freedoms and it happened right in the heart of the city. Our city. Not to mention the fact that many football fans are also concert-goers and vice versa. While I'm not one that would attend an Ariana Grande concert, I'm going to 3 gigs at the Arena in November. Are we saying that if an attack happened at a football match in future then those attending a gig shouldn't pay tribute to the victims? At future matches, should we only ever remember those that are connected to football? If that's the case, then maybe we should scrap the annual Remembrance Day tributes. I wouldn't mind but, aside from that, football has remembered loads of non-football related tragedies down the years - Dunblane, Ken Bigley, and the 2 girls murdered by that evil bastard Huntley all spring to mind where I've been at a match and there was a minute's silence. The Ken Bigley silence was at an England v Wales match at Old Trafford and the other 2 were at City games.

I get that these tributes are a bit OTT these days but last night's was for what can only be described as an extraordinary event for our city, so it was appropriate that something was done. It was a one-off and we won't be repeating it every home game so I don't see the issue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.