Baseball

You don't need to understand too much of it, just the way they score.
Simply put, every time a batter gets around the bases and back to the home plate, it's a goal! Wether they do it one at a time or up to 4 in one go, they each get a goal and, like most sports, the one with the most goals wins. And they don't do draws.

Anyway, it's more of an occasion when you go. You can drink and eat to your hearts content . The baseball is like a side issue. Every time we go Stateside, I'll try and get a game in.
This year it's The Red Sox at Fenway up in the bleachers. Can't wait.

Sheikh said:
mcmanus said:
Me dad knew sod all about baseball but when he went to the States (Boston I think) he went a game and said it was shit ...... only kidding he had a real good laugh. He said the atmosphere was great and a friendly Yank helped him out with rules. Not sure where they but them team had just won the World series recently for the first time in ages, around 2006.
There was a remake of Fever Pitch made in America based on that Red Sox famous win.

Need to watch that again methinks.

-- Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 pm --

citykev28 said:
Don't start seeing your arse just because I've replied to one of your posts, I'm actually asking a straight question.

Are you fascinated by all things American?
I'll be in America so .... when in Rome.
You're gonna shoot a black kid??

There is also a lot of emphasis on the defense, that is pitching and the game is devolving or evolving depending on how you see it, into a pitchers sport, with a lot of attention and credit given to the pitchers and less to the big bats.

Just came back from Florida and went to see Tampa Bay Rays one night. I didn't know what to expect and it was brilliant tbf. I went with about 10% knowledge of the game but it's very easy to understand!

9 innings each, 3 strikes you're out, 3 people out and the innings is over and you switch from batting to fielding. Hit the batsman when pitching and they get a free run to first base and that's the same if there are 4 balls pitched and no strikes were given.

Hope that makes some sense at least :)

Probably irrelevant to this thread but perhaps someone may appreciate it ;)

My primary school played rounders in a mixed team of 4 boys and 5 girls and i played for 2 years and we won the league both years and the KO Cup once.

Most teams had the boys as pitchers, back stops, fourth base and second deep. We had girls that good we had a girl pitcher, a girl fourth base and a brilliant girl at first base. Meant the lads could be in the deep as they could norminally throw better.

As the bats were small the gamesmistress taught us not to hold bats high but hold them in our hands so we got the benefit of back swing and as a cricketer i could hit between first and second base where most teams had a girl fielding and her throw could not make fourth base.

Happy days they were. Loved it

Sheikh said:
Booked tickets to see the Mets play the Phillies at the end of August but haven't got a clue what the fuck is going on.

Any of our US fans give me a quick guide or something to read?[/quote]

Probably a good idea to take something to read.I reccomend 'reluctant hero", Colin Bell book.
p.s, they stop selling beer after the 7th inning.

Rascal said:
Probably irrelevant to this thread but perhaps someone may appreciate it ;)

My primary school played rounders in a mixed team of 4 boys and 5 girls and i played for 2 years and we won the league both years and the KO Cup once.

Most teams had the boys as pitchers, back stops, fourth base and second deep. We had girls that good we had a girl pitcher, a girl fourth base and a brilliant girl at first base. Meant the lads could be in the deep as they could norminally throw better.

As the bats were small the gamesmistress taught us not to hold bats high but hold them in our hands so we got the benefit of back swing and as a cricketer i could hit between first and second base where most teams had a girl fielding and her throw could not make fourth base.

Happy days they were. Loved it
How did the girls run, wearing the long skirts that they had to then?
;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.