Baseball

Baseball is the greatest game ever invented, it restores my faith in humanity.

You're going to see the Phillies who are my favorite sports team of all time and they'll be playing the Mutts. The Mutts are a New York team put there to replace the Giants and the Dodgers who were smart enough to get the hell out back in the 1950's. They wear blue and orange as an homage to the two teams (Dodger blue and Giants orange). The Mutts are known for two things: sucking and having douchebag guido fans.

You won't understand the intricacies of the game but you should be able to appreciate the athleticism. Take note that the pitcher's mound is 60' 6" from home plate and the ball is traveling in excess of 90mph. Then realize that the players are able to make contact even though the pitchers can throw it at different speeds or curve it while using the same arm action and you'll realize that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. Then watch the defenders track it down once it's hit.

Finally, get some peanuts and Cracker Jack. You'll enjoy them more when watching a ballgame, it's a scientific fact.

Sheikh said:
Booked tickets to see the Mets play the Phillies at the end of August but haven't got a clue what the fuck is going on.

Any of our US fans give me a quick guide or something to read?

Err, aren't the mets our new rivals now we've joined up with the Yankees? Tut tut I hope mansour ain't sat up having a green tea n catching up on the world of bluemoon..you'll be stoned to death for treason ;)

Went to see the the Mets play the Dodgers at Shea about five years back ... sorta followed the Mets ever since.
The first thing I noticed is theres a lot more athletic prowess and skill to the game than one might imagine, when you see a double play turned or a diving stop by an infielder its impressive stuff.
Be prepared for lots of corny Americana in between innings and maybe get a cap of the team you you're gonna cheer for, chat to your neighbours if you can, I found the baseball crowd tend to very friendly ...

There's a one in five chance you'll be lucky enough to see Matt Harvey pitching for the Mets .... to use a City analogy - he's to them what Gio was to us circa 96, basically the only thing for Met fans to get excited about just now.

If you've any interest in tennis and you're going to Citi Field, then the US Open may well be on across the street at the same time. Anyhow, above all enjoy it ... and maybe come back on and tell us what ya thought.

Unfortunately due to the time difference it is shown live on all the sports channels here in KL. What a load of C#@p, makes me turn over and watch cupcake wars, much more interesting!!

Of the American sports I find it the most watchable.

If only because it's not basketball.

Went to see The Blue Jays play the Yankees and to be honest I'm not even sure most of the crowd are that bothered, they seemed more interested in getting the attention of the pizza guy or the hot dog dude. (Bloody good pizza btw)

All in all it was a good day, something different. Would I go again? Yes. Would I get a season ticket for the Baseball? No.

First off have a great trip, when I was younger and had more cash I used to Fly out once a year to NYC and go and cheer on the Mets. Mets fans are more like city fans always hoping and praying its going to be their season, only to be let down on a regular basis.
To tube to Flushing is an experience, just sit with some Mets fans and you should be okay.
Don't let Buckshot put you off he still prays to a picture of Larry Bowa and blames Mitch Williams for a world series defeat ;-). However playing the Phillies it should be a good atmosphere.
Mets third base man David Wright one to keep an eye on prob their best player.

You lucky dog, I'd love to go to the Phillies new stadium
Went the Vet a few times back in the early 90's to see em,

Bollox to the hot dogs as well - Philly Cheese Steaks FFS - when in Rome!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.