Best book you've ever read?

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Anything by Fyodor Dostoevsky,especially The Brothers Karamazov.
Anything by Albert Camus,especially The Plague.
Anything by Graham Greene,especially The End Of The Affair.

For an overview of world politics,anything by Noam Chomsky or Robert Fisk.

NJ have you read anything by Kevin Phillips? if you like Noam check him out, brilliant mind........he used to be an advisor to Nixon but has gone the other way, big time.

Knight1979 said:

NJ have you read anything by Kevin Phillips? if you like Noam check him out, brilliant mind........he used to be an advisor to Nixon but has gone the other way, big time.

Only Reckless Finance,Knight,(which kinda sums up my fiscal policy generally,sadly)!
I like his take on the North/South divide as well as his economic theories,but maybe,given his past misdemenours with the Nixon (mal)administration,it proves that even the most wretched of sinners can be redeemed.
Which reminds me - not heard from Pokomoke for a while...!

batavias graveyard by mike dash
In 1629, the Dutch merchantman Batavia grounded on a desolate atoll near Western Australia. Of the 200 survivors, 115 were subsequently murdered, in coldest blood, by a group of the ship's sailors and their psychopathic leader, Jeronimus Corneliszoon. Batavia's Graveyard is Mike Dash's unnerving, measured account of the incident. The victims included children, babies, and pregnant women; the crimes took place over a period of several months. Though the killings make a substantial, chilling tale in themselves, Dash adroitly places the shocking spree in larger context with illuminating discussions of 17th century medical practices, religious heresy, global politics, and shipboard sociology and daily life. Additionally, he draws dozens of portraits of the participants in this ghastly drama, most fascinatingly that of Corneliszoon, who emerges as a grotesquely charismatic predecessor of the likes of Charles Manson and Ted Bundy. Batavia's Graveyard, a skillful melding of accessible scholarship and evenhanded narrative and of overview and telling detail, is a welcome achievement. --H. O'Billovitch

history,true crime and seafaring what more could you wish for ?

Knight1979 said:

Only Reckless Finance,Knight,(which kinda sums up my fiscal policy generally,sadly)!
I like his take on the North/South divide as well as his economic theories,but maybe,given his past misdemenours with the Nixon (mal)administration,it proves that even the most wretched of sinners can be redeemed.
Which reminds me - not heard from Pokomoke for a while...!

don't jinx it jinsky!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.