Changes to the Driving Test

At one time they were going to allow instructors to take learners on motorways but that was scrubbed.what is crazy is that you can pass your test in the morning in the afternoon have a car full and drive to London with no motorway experience .and they wonder why there is so many accidents

It's crazy. I passed my test and then took the pass plus course which included motorway driving. I think I did that because I was a little older and slightly
nervous about motorway driving at the time. Many young people of 17 don't have a care in the world and that is a dangerous mind set to have when first starting to
use motorways. They are inherently safer to drive upon when used correctly but make a mistake and we all know how that can end.

It's crazy. I passed my test and then took the pass plus course which included motorway driving. I think I did that because I was a little older and slightly
nervous about motorway driving at the time. Many young people of 17 don't have a care in the world and that is a dangerous mind set to have when first starting to
use motorways. They are inherently safer to drive upon when used correctly but make a mistake and we all know how that can end.
Very few people take the pass plus course pity it is not compulsory

Worries me that something is being introduced to the test which actually encourages drivers to take their eyes off the road.
It would make more sense to make new drivers more aware of other types of vehicle, including cyclists, and the different risks they present. Far too sensible though...

The motorway driving thing is an odd one. They discussed introducing it a few years back but said that there are too many test centres too far from a designated motorway. Perhaps they could include some 70 mph dual carriageways to expand the choice.
A friend of mine used to be a driving instructor and offered a free motorway lesson or car maintenance lesson to any pupil that passed the test. Nobody ever took up the offer of the free motorway lesson.

well I think everyone should be re-tested every 10 years, plus once in the 5 years after you pass your test, and every 5 years after you reach the age of 65, and then every year after the age of 75.

Would make the government a lot of money and I can't really think of another walk of life where a skill you're required to use publicly which is a safety risk to others becomes a lifetime entitlement once you pass one test.

Very few people take the pass plus course pity it is not compulsory

In other words, to be allowed to drive, the Test should include all of what is in Pass Plus?

A good way to increase the price of being on the road and exclude poorer people driving?

On balance, I think 17 is too young to be on the road considering how immature a lot of people are at that age.

well I think everyone should be re-tested every 10 years, plus once in the 5 years after you pass your test, and every 5 years after you reach the age of 65, and then every year after the age of 75.
Would make the government a lot of money and I can't really think of another walk of life where a skill you're required to use publicly which is a safety risk to others becomes a lifetime entitlement once you pass one test.
Agree about re-testing if only because it will mean some drivers will think about their driving occasionally rather than passing and forgetting. The system could be set up so you could have a couple of chances a few months before the mandatory re-test.
However I suspect it would cost the government that introduced it a hell of a lot of votes as many of those who claim to be good drivers would like to have their claim put to the test. I've heard a few people claim to be good drivers but admit they couldn't pass the test. Would you go to a "good" doctor who couldn't pass medical exams?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.