Combi Boiler Question

You can get boilers that the condensate pipe doesn't freeze. Ours has a a "hot shot" feature built in. Ie it stores the warm condensate in a container, then pumps it all out in one go. This way the warm water all comes out at once, then the pipe empties/dries. Any possible ice forming is flushed through. There is no water left to freeze. Then when the container is full, it does it again. You can buy them to fit external to the boiler as well.
Or you get a condensate pipe heating wire installed. It comes on only when the temperatures drop.

You can get boilers that the condensate pipe doesn't freeze. Ours has a a "hot shot" feature built in. Ie it stores the warm condensate in a container, then pumps it all out in one go. This way the warm water all comes out at once, then the pipe empties/dries. Any possible ice forming is flushed through. There is no water left to freeze. Then when the container is full, it does it again. You can buy them to fit external to the boiler as well.
Or you get a condensate pipe heating wire installed. It comes on only when the temperatures drop.
Mine uses a reservoir, sounds like the same thing. Now I've split the pipe and tilted it down a touch, it's dripping hot water outside but it's freezing almost immediately and the water would block the pipe if I reconnected it. Could be the fall on the pipe is too shallow.

I replaced mine with a metal pipe and use a blowtorch.

we had nothing this morning due to frozen condensate pipe - it runs all the way down the outside of the house so if frozen all the way the hot water cure is impractical but disconnecting the condensate pipe and ticking a bucket under the boiler to catch the drips sorted it and once the thaw comes on Monday reattach the pipe and its business as usual
Had to do mine again this morning, I can get on the garage roof, two minute job thank god, however going to have to look for a better solution or it maybe the bucket next time.

Leave boiler on overnight ?

That doesn't make a difference. The condensate is a slow trickle of water. When it's cold enough, it will freeze before reaching the end of the pipe.
The longer the pipe is outside, the worse the problem. Some installers just don't even try to avoid problems. Lagging the pipe helps.

If the radiators are working mate sounds like diverter valve to me , if it was a frozen condense pipe boiler would shut down.

Had the same on mine. If the heatings working the boiler is doing its job but the diverter valve operates when there’s hot water demand which takes precedence over the heating

When you say nothing coming out of the hot tap , do you mean no hot water or no water at all. Gen question. I'm ex BG eng. Before you cut pipes like lol. If your heating is ok then a blocked condensate is unlikely. If its no water at hot tap, but water is at cold tap then that leg from your boiler is prob froze. If cold water runs at hot tap then its a boiler fault. Check however that your heating isnt now starting to go off as that could indicate that your heating first came on ok with a blocked condensate untill the condensate backed up into your boiler....look for any fault codes on your boiler.... Hope that helps

Hi Pal , great response thanks . Yes , when I turn on hot tap no water running , cold tap all ok as is everything else , so as you suggest I think it is down to a frozen leg at that end . I live up on near the saddleworth moors and it really is cold up here at the moment , we are used to it being cold but this is something at a new level . Guess I will just have to wait it out , will try and heat the relevant pie in the meantime

Good job we are friendly with our neighbours whose shower is still working fine , haha

Had the same on mine. If the heatings working the boiler is doing its job but the diverter valve operates when there’s hot water demand which takes precedence over the heating
Did we ever find out if the OP meant no water or no hot water. Last I heard he was going to the garage to check the condenser pipe.

Funnily enough, when the pipe freezes on my boiler, it doesn't shut down fully. Unless you go and look at the control panel, it sounds very much like it's still working. Then again I heard some things since, about the installers of mine, which make me think they might have been a bit substandard.

Edit: right on cue!

Hi Pal , great response thanks . Yes , when I turn on hot tap no water running , cold tap all ok as is everything else , so as you suggest I think it is down to a frozen leg at that end . I live up on near the saddleworth moors and it really is cold up here at the moment , we are used to it being cold but this is something at a new level . Guess I will just have to wait it out , will try and heat the relevant pie in the meantime

Good job we are friendly with our neighbours whose shower is still working fine , haha
Have you got an electric heater you could put in the garage, or is it not practical.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.