Comparisons - so what?

If we do it we will (not counting my chickens) have matched or bested their greatest achievements - a treble, three consecutive titles. We have our own which no one in EPL history has matched a domestic treble and 100 points. The closer this game gets the more nervous I'm getting

Their CL success was with only 5 wins out if 11 games in a smaller competition! YCMIU. A 45% win rate. The runners up had better than that. In fact they only qualified as runners up in our own league.

Their Premier League was won with a poultry 79 points FFS! Barely enough to guarantee Champions League football these days. Our 7 Premier Leagues have seen 100,98,93,89,89,86 and 86 points!

They won the FA Cup with home ties all the way and inly scored 12 goals and needed 2 replays. We only conceded a single goal from a penalty!

There is simply is zero comparison!
And in their FA Cup final that year, they only beat lowly 13th placed Newcastle 2-0, as opposed to us beating them, in second gear, while they were all out to spoil our treble shot - and in a fuckin' derby, of course.

They won the league with a PALTRY (!) 79 points - only 1 point clear of 2nd placed Arsenal on the last day. We won by 5 points with 3 games to go - and 94 goals to their 80; our goal difference 61 - theirs was 43. We won 28 league games; they won only 22.

Roll on saturday! The picture will then be complete.

In all sports that can be measured, as distance, times or weights ect they have all improved, from a sporting prospective, as far as I know. So I think it unlikely any team would cope with the current levels of fitness, skill or how the laws are now interpreted.
Would have been good to see Mick Doyle tackle Penandez ,even Alty Taylor for that matter.

If we win the treble ours will be on a different level of success to do it , we’ve just done three in row PL titles , only two years ago we did the domestic treble , we’ve been CL finalists twice in the past three seasons , we’ve scored more , conceded less and have broken the 90 barrier in 5 of our last six seasons , and we play a level of attacking , fantastic football that they can only dream of.

Lots of people are prematurely comparing Utd 1999 with City 2023. I’d urge all Blues to avoid these sorts of meaningless debates. Even if City do pull off an amazing treble this week it’s not worth getting embroiled in a debate that is ridiculous.

To be frank you’ve got to be well in your 30s or above to even stand a chance of debating it and even then so what? I was somewhat frustrated that the post match phone ins after Wembley were all about comparing Utd 99 with City 23 instead of concentrating on how great City 23 is. I’ve posted an article saying why it’s pointless (yeah, I know. Even writing an article on why it’s pointless is pointless but I’ve had enough of it all). Some of what I say may be useful if you get embroiled in an argument.

Key thing to remember is that some keep going on about when Utd were winning their treble in 99 City were achieving promotion. Well guess what? 24 years before 99 Utd were achieving promotion.

Anyway, here’s the piece:

Something else I’ve written about recently is the span of success. City are second in this. Again, it’s a so what? But rival fans go on about a history of success, we’ll only 1 club has a longer span of success than City.

This '99 shite is only relevant, as you say, only to people of a certain age and consigned to history relevant to them.

Right now, the possible achievement will be the beacon fans of a younger *generation see and that's what matters for building a current and shiny legacy.

I've noticed the airwaves full of this 'debate', bringing on the old Red Scum players to say "we did it first" yadda yadda yadda and this is AFTER we were told we have to get to and win the final first before we can be 'talked about in those terms' in the last couple of years!

They all keep kicking the can of respect down the road, so we'll never get it regardless of what we do!

F 'em all, Blues!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.