Discussion: Txiki Begiristain (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the irony of a lot of these "he signed Fernando, he's shit" type comments.

Most people on this thread have no idea of the width of Begiristain's remit. Identifying players is only part of it. I would imagine he is responsible for contract renewals, salary structuring, sales, price negotiation (in and out), I'd imagine he makes the calls on the integration/development of breakthrough Academy players, even the structure of training at various levels at the club. He'll be the link-man between Soriano and the manager, ensuring relationships are cordial and there's a coherence.

OF course the transfers in are the most public part of his job, and of course you have to take a long term view on that. But there's a lot more ice underneath the iceberg with regards to his role.

That's interesting. You think he is responsible for the financial side of things regarding playing staff?

That's interesting. You think he is responsible for the financial side of things regarding playing staff?

Well the thing about Director of Football (although as I remember he has a different title anyway) is you can never say definitively, but at a guess, I'd say that he wouldn't set salary budgets (ie total overall wage costs), but he'd be responsible for implementing them. So I'd say the rollout of the new contracts last year and reduced basics/bonuses, would be done by him, ie he'd liase with the agents and players and close the deals. And that U-Turn that Yaya did (which you'd guess would be promises made about the club's direction, his role in it and probably his future within CFG) was probably his doing.

None of this I know, but I'm just trying to point out that he has a very broad role and it's too simplistic to just judge him on signings. But by the same token, signings are of course a huge part of his role and, like the centre forward who is a great link man but doesn't get enough goals (Emile Heskey, Paul Dickov), ultimately he has to get more right than wrong or he's out.

This is the first real window where we're operating without significant restriction. At least two of our targets are known (if conventional wisdom is to be believed).
We'll be better placed to judged the transfer performance after the summer. And of course, for some players, at least a couple of seasons is a fair window to judge them on, as a first season can always be tricky.

Well the thing about Director of Football (although as I remember he has a different title anyway) is you can never say definitively, but at a guess, I'd say that he wouldn't set salary budgets (ie total overall wage costs), but he'd be responsible for implementing them. So I'd say the rollout of the new contracts last year and reduced basics/bonuses, would be done by him, ie he'd liase with the agents and players and close the deals. And that U-Turn that Yaya did (which you'd guess would be promises made about the club's direction, his role in it and probably his future within CFG) was probably his doing.

None of this I know, but I'm just trying to point out that he has a very broad role and it's too simplistic to just judge him on signings. But by the same token, signings are of course a huge part of his role and, like the centre forward who is a great link man but doesn't get enough goals (Emile Heskey, Paul Dickov), ultimately he has to get more right than wrong or he's out.

Fair enough. All makes sense to me.

Looks like he is really very very good at his job after all :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.