Discussion: Txiki Begiristain (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know loads of City fans and they think he is doing a fantastic job.
I think most people think that this summer is the test. Like at Barca he's done some good stuff, Fernandinho, Navas and Negredo but there has also been Mangala, way too much for an untested defender, and Fernando, not to mention getting in a non HG keeper.

I think most people think that this summer is the test. Like at Barca he's done some good stuff, Fernandinho, Navas and Negredo but there has also been Mangala, way too much for an untested defender, and Fernando, not to mention getting in a non HG keeper.

Mangala had 35 games in the EL/CL, almost 200 professional games and 5 caps for France before signing. What exactly makes him "untested"?

Mangala had 35 games in the EL/CL, almost 200 professional games and 5 caps for France before signing. What exactly makes him "untested"?

Should have left out the word untested, you're right. However spending a british record for a defender who is not an automatic starer for his country depite being 23 years old.!!

Apologies if this is viewed as blind loyalty, but I don't view what we all think of Txixi as the issue, as we actually don't know his remit. What is clear to me is our owner, via Khaldoon has created and environment of accountability combined with a long term strategy. If Txixi, Soriano or anyone else does not perform they don't make it, there is already enough evidence of that. So if they are happy with him or anyone else, that is where my faith lies.

Should have left out the word untested, you're right. However spending a british record for a defender who is not an automatic starer for his country depite being 23 years old.!!

It's worth noting that the British record moves almost every summer because it is linked to revenues which keep going up. He cost £5m more than Luke Shaw

Either way, you're right that he was target number 1 in that window and we did what we needed to do to land him regardless of his price.

God, people like you are going to be backtracking so hard in a few weeks time.

I'm willing Txiki on like all the Blues on here. That said, It's important to have a bit of balance when reflecting on his performamce to date.

I hope Txiki is held in high regard over the long term. Like Billy Shears has said, the nature of Txiki's role means it's a long term job to see the lasting benefits and if he's here a long time that will be an indicator of success!

Apologies if this is viewed as blind loyalty, but I don't view what we all think of Txixi as the issue, as we actually don't know his remit. What is clear to me is our owner, via Khaldoon has created and environment of accountability combined with a long term strategy. If Txixi, Soriano or anyone else does not perform they don't make it, there is already enough evidence of that. So if they are happy with him or anyone else, that is where my faith lies.

That's the irony of a lot of these "he signed Fernando, he's shit" type comments.

Most people on this thread have no idea of the width of Begiristain's remit. Identifying players is only part of it. I would imagine he is responsible for contract renewals, salary structuring, sales, price negotiation (in and out), I'd imagine he makes the calls on the integration/development of breakthrough Academy players, even the structure of training at various levels at the club. He'll be the link-man between Soriano and the manager, ensuring relationships are cordial and there's a coherence.

OF course the transfers in are the most public part of his job, and of course you have to take a long term view on that. But there's a lot more ice underneath the iceberg with regards to his role.

I will initially judge Txiki's summer activity when the transfer window shuts. Then in December when the players bought will have bedded in. His record is OK since he came.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.