Greatest (or most memorable) game you ever saw?

Most memorable game - Sunderland 1 Plymouth 1. Why? It was the only City game I missed that year - when we beat Huddersfield 10-1. My only recollection is the horror of listening to the radio after the game and realising what I missed as loads of Mackems kept asking me the Newcastle score and all I could say was "who cares, Man City won 10-1". Never been so gutted

Newcastle 3 City 4 , 1968 title winning game , beat the Rags by one point on last day of the season , we had a brilliant all english team that cost next to nowt it was so unexpected a bit like Leciester's title last season , we had a team of players who were not superstars at the time although Bell , Lee Summerbee became eventually did recieve some accolades. There must have been 20,000 of us all over St.James Park a brilliant end to end game ,we scored then they scored but we just had so much belief in that team unsung heroes like Tony Coleman,Neil Young Alan Oakes beating the likes of Best,Law and Charlton over a season , great days under Big Mal and Gentleman Joe.

Newcastle 3 City 4 , 1968 title winning game , beat the Rags by one point on last day of the season , we had a brilliant all english team that cost next to nowt it was so unexpected a bit like Leciester's title last season , we had a team of players who were not superstars at the time although Bell , Lee Summerbee became eventually did recieve some accolades. There must have been 20,000 of us all over St.James Park a brilliant end to end game ,we scored then they scored but we just had so much belief in that team unsung heroes like Tony Coleman,Neil Young Alan Oakes beating the likes of Best,Law and Charlton over a season , great days under Big Mal and Gentleman Joe.
Great game that, but still like the 4-1 v Spurs ballet on ice game, which was the same season I think :-)

it was 9-0 and Andy May scored a penalty and got the biggest ironic cheer of the afternoon , and then Whitey went up the other end and scored the tenth , happy days.

Things I remember from that day:
1) Hudds could have scored 2 or 3 before our first from Nabber.
2) Laughing like fuck at the Huddersfield fans going mental when May blasted that pen in.
3) As White ran through from the half line...I couldn't bear to watch. Waited for the kippax to go mental and then celebrating with my mates.

Don't think we'll ever see a score like that again! Also seem to remember the crowd was only about 19/20 thousand that day? What a day to decide to give a game a miss eh?

Where were we when we were shit lol. Happy days indeed.

You have it nailed on , we feared nobody what a spirit Malcolm generated in us and the team, never repeated until Royle led us in successive promotions back to the Premiership but not the most memorable match for me.
F A Cup semi against the rags in 2011 tops any thing I have seen in 50 years watching Gods own team.
It was the defining turning point in our resurrection , rags I have spoken to since were shocked by how much we were up for it , from the roundabout malarky to the Poznan we and the team drew a line in the sand and proved we are no longer living in thier shadow.
A world stage, a world tv audience, the hapless bastards were outplayed and out thought .Those blessed to be there that day knew our world had changed , my old mate, we had watched city home and away together over 30 years did not want to go initially , "What if we lose " he said thinking of the pain from old wounds " But what if we win " I argued , he went ! A day of joy for me , a result and a day I will always treasure in my minds eye,

I think we actually won it by 2 points. Both us and the rags were level on points going into the last game but we had the better goal average. The rags were at home to already relegated Sunderland and were expected to win. Our task away at Newcastle was much trickier so the rags were favourites to take the title. We won a hard fought brilliant game and they lost. Only 2 points for a win in those days.
Got hammered in Newcastle that night and missed my coach home, luckily I managed to catch a lift on another coach full of deliriously happy blues. Slept in the isle. Great days, loved that side and went home and most aways in those days.
The current side provides as much pleasure but it is hard to pick a favourite game from Newcastle/City 1968, FA cup semi with the rags, Gillingham and QPR.

I'm pretty sure the Platt Lane housed the Huddersfield fans that day. About 50 or 60 of them if I remember correctly.

Was they? I must have been the north stand then me memory has faded in the 30 years that have passed, I'll blame it on spending every weekend in hippos partaking in disco biscuits in the late 80s early 90s

Edit just watched a vid back of it and I'm still pretty sure I was in the platt lane end I would have been stood at the back with me dad and all the other bus drivers.

Edit edit, I'm throughly confused now about where I was, which is no surprise as I can't even remember where I worked yesterday.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.