Manchester Storm - Ice Hockey

well the #pushforplayoffs ended last night with a loss to Braehead, but for the 1st season back we've done pretty damn well. played most of the season with a short bench but still managed to fight to the last week for a play off spot, managed to sell out the stormshelter ( and will hopefully do it a lot more next season ) ,

We managed to get some decent winning streaks going and the front line is looking very impressive,hopefully we will be able to keep them together next season. get some better defence men in and we should be able to push up to mid table. The seasons not even over yet and im counting the days till it starts again.

Big shame that we fell short but only having one game those past two weekends probably did for us. We didn't look game ready against Fife last week. Barely won a faceoff and couldn't find our teammates tape with any of our passes,

It's still been a good season though and already looking forward to next.

If we can manage to keep hold of Sisca, Scarsella, Salazar, Valcak, Davies, Paton, Swindlehurst, Pacha, Birzinsh and P.Phillips and supplement them with some more physical, bigger Forwards and a couple of proper stay at home defenceman, we'll make a better run at it from the start. Sadly I think there will be other teams within the Elite League trying to get at Sisca, Scarsella and Valcak especially. They will be able to offer more money and more chance of trophies so i fear we'll lose them.

Big shame that we fell short but only having one game those past two weekends probably did for us. We didn't look game ready against Fife last week. Barely won a faceoff and couldn't find our teammates tape with any of our passes,

It's still been a good season though and already looking forward to next.

If we can manage to keep hold of Sisca, Scarsella, Salazar, Valcak, Davies, Paton, Swindlehurst, Pacha, Birzinsh and P.Phillips and supplement them with some more physical, bigger Forwards and a couple of proper stay at home defenceman, we'll make a better run at it from the start. Sadly I think there will be other teams within the Elite League trying to get at Sisca, Scarsella and Valcak especially. They will be able to offer more money and more chance of trophies so i fear we'll lose them.

yeah we really need to try to keep at least the triple S front three. they were deadly going forward. and good shout on the others, Im not sure what the deal is money wise as there are salary caps in place, I've no idea if we have the backing to pay the wages to compete. Gotta give P Phillips a lot of credit, had some of his teeth knocked out in a fight saturday night, spent time in hospital getting sorted out and was back on the ice Sunday evening.

I dont think Deeds will be back though, he left mid week as his grand dad died, he did like a ruck!.

Only just found out they're back! Mint! Never saw any news about them coming back.

The atmosphere was top back in the day, no other sport like it. Surely Ice Hockey could be big enough to be financially viable for all clubs if the league got some Gary Cook grade marketeer?

Altrincham is too far out. They need a place round the city centre if they want the crowds - imagine an Ice Hockey rink on the Etihad Campus lands?

Phoenix never appealed, just wasn't the same. Also they play in red so couldn't bring myself to support a red Manchester team. Storm's brand was/is just so classy. For our city, it's cool that purple is/is one of their main colour(s) as well considering what you get when you mix blue and red. Sort of brings the city together behind one team which is a top thing.

If Storm took off again, I imagine Pheonix would fold.

Isnt Manchester Phoenix playing somewhere around SportsCity from next season?

Isnt Manchester Phoenix playing somewhere around SportsCity from next season?
Not seen anything about it but does make you question if City could ever get behind supporting one (hopefully the Storm), as people have mentioned the other sports clubs being a potential project like how Barca have a basketball team etc.

You'd imagine the club might prefer a Manchester City hockey team but it would just never work - it'd alienate the rags fans and Storm have a special place in this city already for many.

Like others have said, I remember seeing the storm at the nynex, thought they folded years ago though!! If they reformed, excellent. Used to go to school near alty and the ice rink was a place we used to go and meet birds, can't imagine the place hosting professional hockey. For the team to succeed going forward, as others have said they need a home venue in/near the City centre. This is England, not Canada. Too many other sports already have a stronghold over ice hockey. Rugby, footy, cricket (hate that game), tennis (and that), athletics, formula 1, boxing etc etc

Phoenix, if they survive as they have major debt problems and last season only survived due to fan donations, and still ( last I heard ) owe 50/60k got the go ahead to convert one of the buildings near the Etihad into an 1000 seater ice rink. They need to find a major backer soon if they are going to survive as I dont think 1000 seats is enough, even if they sell out every week.

This is some info on the Phoenix Rink
http://salfordonline.com/26532-1000-seater-ice-dome-will-manchester-phoenix-stadium.html

Storms Rink is also getting a major overhaul as part of Alty's regeneration over the next few years which is supposed to be starting very soon if not started already.

http://www.altair-altrincham.co.uk/scheme/masterplan/space/?chosen=3

The wife and I have got our season tickets for Storm all sorted for next season :) there are a lot of new faces this season, but last seasons team was put together in weeks where as they have had all close season this year.

Last edited:
Only just found out they're back! Mint! Never saw any news about them coming back.

The atmosphere was top back in the day, no other sport like it. Surely Ice Hockey could be big enough to be financially viable for all clubs if the league got some Gary Cook grade marketeer?

I only twigged after seeing it on here but quite a few busses are about in town with the adverts on. Hopefully a lot of word of mouth is kicking in now too. We had reasonably decent crowds last season but there is always room for more:) Come along.

as for atmosphere, its good but I never experienced the Original storm days, the wife was a season ticket holder back then too. the Nynex sell (17k odd ) out is still the largest Ice hockey crowed in European history so it will be tough to beat. Alty has about 2k seats, the big hitters are Nottingham who average over 5k a week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.