Mats Hummels

Re: Matts Hummels

The tactical genius will be playing 433 as I understand it, doubt if they sign Hummels it will be a high line pressing game more of counter attack footie. Take advantage of set pieces, suppose that means more in the BFS style of play. :-)

There's no way United will be getting Hummels for as little as €20m. Absolute nonsense.

And another thing - does anyone actually believe Mangala to be better than Hummels, all because Hummels isn't "fast"?

If they get him for around half the price we pay for Mangala I seriously will eat my own balls...

Dortmund cant be that stupid.

There have been quotes on twitter from Klopp about Reus and Hummels. Specifically that 20M E is garbage.

Jürgen Klopp about the Hummels and Reus rumours: "Both will stay here this season. There is no tendency they'd want to be elsewhere"

Jürgen Klopp: "And if papers mention numbers like "20 Million Euros" you know that it is garbage anyways." -Sandra Goldschmidt

sjk2008 said:
There's no way United will be getting Hummels for as little as €20m. Absolute nonsense.

And another thing - does anyone actually believe Mangala to be better than Hummels, all because Hummels isn't "fast"?

Our management team seem to think he is/will be. More than good enough for me.

If David Luiz has gone for 40m Hummels must be worth at least at much (or considerably more actually!)
20m € ? No chance.

Davs 19 said:
sjk2008 said:

Our management team seem to think he is/will be. More than good enough for me.

There's a difference between being a better player and being better suited to a team. Hummels' lack of pace would see him caught out in our very high line whereas, from the little I know about him, recovering a situation seems to be one of Mangala's strengths. If Mancini were still in charge, Hummels would be a far better option than Mangala as that involved much more positional sense and reading of the game.

sjk2008 said:

I can't speak for everyone else because I rarely can on this place, but I think Mangala is a better fit for us at the moment simply because he's more of a front-footed defender suited to using his power and pace. Hummels would have worked perfectly in Mancini's teams, though, especially in the early days.

bluechampion7891 said:
There have been quotes on twitter from Klopp about Reus and Hummels. Specifically that 20M E is garbage.

Jürgen Klopp about the Hummels and Reus rumours: "Both will stay here this season. There is no tendency they'd want to be elsewhere"

Jürgen Klopp: "And if papers mention numbers like "20 Million Euros" you know that it is garbage anyways." -Sandra Goldschmidt

True. They have already taken a hit by losing Lewandowski to Bayern for nowt. I think the rags propaganda machine is fully in gear.

RandomJ said:
If we bought him we'd have to have the defenders almost on the goal line to counter his serious lack of pace and that isn't how Pellegrini plays his football so there is zero chance of us going in for him. If he does come to the Premier League I think he will have a nasty shock as there are some seriously fast players in this league.
Okay this fallacy needs to stop. We are not going to buy Hummels, and that's fine. But can we stop with the over exaggeration of his lack of pace? The man is faster than MDM who plays in our highline. He may not be as fast as Mangala in a foot race, but he is no snail. And just for the sake of clarity, Hummels plays for Dortmund! A team that plays a high line themselves. Mangala who we are interested in plays for Porto, who does NOT play a highline.
So in this discussion of who will be a better fit, perhaps more reverence should be given to who actually already plays in the system. That player will be Hummels.

And as a side note, awareness anticipation and positioning, are much more important characteristic for a highline than pace is. The reason why our highline sometimes sucked wasn't because the CBs were slow, it was often because some of the midfielders failed to pressure the ball passer, who then can split the defense with his pass.. It matters little how fast your CBs are, if there is no pressure on the ball passer in midfield, your defense will get burnt consistently. The purchase of Fernando in addition to Fernandihno and a lesser extent Garcia, guarantees pressure on the ball and an overall improvement in our defensive system.

Now back to comparison- in comparing the 2 players, Mangala average 1.2 tackles and 1 interception a game, Hummels averaged 2.5 tackles and 2.8 interceptions a game. Playing in a highline.

In my opinion, the reason why we are not in for Hummels is one of 2 reasons:
1. We know he is not for sale or his sale price will be exorbitant.
2. Pelegrini trusts MDM and he is looking for his future replacement, rather than his present replacement. Thus Mangala will take over eventually, but not this season. Hummels would have been a starter this season.

Oh, and just in case anyone missed it. Hummels is currently a superior defender to Mangala. More so in a highline than perhaps any other system. The fact he is not as fast as Mangala doesn't change that.

Mangala has potential, Hummels is already there. Let's not fool ourselves simply because we are not in for him. It has nothing to do with pace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.