Player Thread: Patrick Roberts

What the fuck are you on about?! That's about as raggy a comment as you could possibly make. And Roberts was bought with the expectation of developing in the EDS anyway!

how is that a raggy " comment haha, i want citys youth player to play or at least be in the squad - yea really raggy. What a joke of a reply.

if thats the case why isn't he playing for them then. they need to be playing games to develop, they aren't going to do that when they aren't playing at all

Last edited:
how is that a raggy " comment haha, i want citys youth player to play or at least be in the squad - yea really raggy. What a joke of a reply.

if thats the case why isn't he playing for them then. they need to be playing games to develop, they aren't going to do that when they aren't playing at all

I recon training with our first team on a consistent basis won't exactly do much harm. PT would be great but 6 months of hanging around Kun Silva Yaya Nasri and co. isn't going to hurt IMO. Let them learn the City way, snag some cup game experiences. If they do well enough in training and take their chance when it's given, maybe they'll earn some more PT. Otherwise a loan can come a little later.

I recon training with our first team on a consistent basis won't exactly do much harm. PT would be great but 6 months of hanging around Kun Silva Yaya Nasri and co. isn't going to hurt IMO. Let them learn the City way, snag some cup game experiences. If they do well enough in training and take their chance when it's given, maybe they'll earn some more PT. Otherwise a loan can come a little later.

I agreed training with the first team would help, but no competitive football for the next few months isn't going to help him.

What's happening with Patrick? Not with Eds and not with first team, no links to going on loan?

My guess so far is that they've kept him with the first team match day squad (the whole traveling party, not the first XI and subs) so far for a couple of reasons -

1) so they can have a closer look at him, assess him in training with the first team and see how he reacts alongside elite players and then properly decide on what his next move should be, be it EDS, loan or first team etc...

2) I think there's also an element of posturing, which though is silly is also a little understandable. If he'd immediately started with the EDS the club would have been roundly castigated by the press cos he's English and cost a lot of money. Ruining English players and throwing them with the reserves etc. load of nonsense obviously, but they would have jumped on it, as they do with any opportunity to slag city off. So I think they've held off on playing him with the eds just yet for that reason, keeping him training and travelling with the first team squad, even if logically it'd make sense to make sure he gets minutes in the EDS. He most definitely isn't first team ready yet either way.

I reckon in a couple of weeks we will know a little more about where he stands as the club commit to a course of action. Personally I think he'll end up in the EDS before heading on loan around January, but I may be wrong.

My guess so far is that they've kept him with the first team match day squad (the whole traveling party, not the first XI and subs) so far for a couple of reasons -

1) so they can have a closer look at him, assess him in training with the first team and see how he reacts alongside elite players and then properly decide on what his next move should be, be it EDS, loan or first team etc...

2) I think there's also an element of posturing, which though is silly is also a little understandable. If he'd immediately started with the EDS the club would have been roundly castigated by the press cos he's English and cost a lot of money. Ruining English players and throwing them with the reserves etc. load of nonsense obviously, but they would have jumped on it, as they do with any opportunity to slag city off. So I think they've held off on playing him with the eds just yet for that reason, keeping him training and travelling with the first team squad, even if logically it'd make sense to make sure he gets minutes in the EDS. He most definitely isn't first team ready yet either way.

I reckon in a couple of weeks we will know a little more about where he stands as the club commit to a course of action. Personally I think he'll end up in the EDS before heading on loan around January, but I may be wrong.

I don't agree with 2) - it's been acknowledged by everyone that we've bought him As a youth player and the expectation of every report I read when we signed him was that he'd go into the EDS for a year. Arsenal signed Oxlade-Chamberlain for a similar price and he went into the u21's I seem to recall.

I'd be tempted to pop him on the bench and give him 20 minutes if we are comfortably on top. He could easily slot into that Navas role under little pressure and play a small role.

Just the kind of thing to give him a boost for when he has to get his head down and work hard for the next 12 months.

I wonder how much he actually needs a loan as well - he's already played in the championship. I think he needs to bulk up a bit and finish growing so he can compete physically, which was the problem he had at Fulham.

Just wondering, what exactly is he doing at the moment? He does not feature with the first team, nor does he play for the EDS, as far as I know. So, where in our squad-hierarchy does he belong?

Anyone got any insight in just what the future holds for this very talented kid, and will he find his first year(s) here with us beneficial for his development after having played pretty regularly for Fulham?

I do not know if he was actually in the squad on Sunday but he was at the match. I had the good fortune to be sat near him and he came across as a really nice lad who was really excited about being at City and training with the likes of Sergio and Spanish Dave.

Just want to get rid of the misconception that Patrick Roberts was playing regularly at Fulham, 17 championship appearances last season, not sure how many of them were actually starts but thats hardly regular. Truth is at 18 he's better off learning from us, and after assessing him (which I imagine is what we are currently doing) we can figure out what will be best for his development and unlike Fulham we have the power to do that whether it be in Spain, MLS another championship club or with ourselves.

I guess its a problem with not having the old reserve team where senior players not getting a game and players recovering from injury got game time .
We have got the same problem with lopes and kelchi a month in and no competive game time .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.