Possible MCFC rugby team?

Manchester Rangers have played at the Regional Athletics Stadium for a few months now. A famous old club resurrected with aims for professional RL for Manchester!

They stop play in league before they even make fucking contact.

Wipe your fanny's and take the tackle.
You're talking bollocks. In RL forwards make 25 carries and 35 tackles per game, hookers can make up to 35 carries and 50 tackles per game. Sam Burgess has already said he's bored to death in Yawnion with 3 carries and 5 tackles per game. And these aren't tackles from two feet away as everyone piles on top of each other, again, many of these in RL are at full pelt in a 10m sprint.

Clive Woodward said this earlier this year: "I was offered a contract to sign for Warrington in 1980 but turned it down because I didn’t think I was tough enough to cut in it in Rugby League."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...rgess-faces-race-ready-England-World-Cup.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes no sense on a number of levels. The RFL are trying to promote RL around the country, Coventry Bears being invited into League One for this year. With so many local rivals getting modest crowds in what is semi-pro level there isn't a gap in the market.

The only point would being Pro is if they were heading for Super League, but I reckon Leigh will go up even if Salford go down. It would make more sense to invest in the Hornets, Lions or Roughyeds, with the latter playing very close to east Manchester as it is.

There is a problem with both codes playing to stereotype. RU is a bit old boys club but at the same time RL is a bit simple game for simple people.

The thing is RU is rapidly becoming more professional in its approach where as RL has been very professional and massively hyped by Sky for years and yet there are still very few people who care. RU has a much brighter future. The only rugby I make a point of watching is the RU internationals which are excellent as a sporting contest, extremely professional and incredibly competitive at that level. I’d agree the RL clubs are not far off but it just isn’t as good to watch and I don’t care if one poxy northern town beats some other poxy northern town. It says a lot when St Helens and Wigan are the giants of the game.

I would be interested in a Manchester RU club playing in the top level i.e. Heineken cub. That would be awesome.
I don't know how people can say that people don't care about league and do about union.

Here's some attendance stats, at club level, RL is easily comparable to RU:
2015_rugby-league_england_france_super-league_xx_map_w-rl-titles_2014-attendance_t_.gif

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/mobile/stats/attendance.php
(They play about 12 home games)

Rugby League types are always so aggressive when ever this debate pops up. They also always seem to forget that about 20% of their game is kicking too.
We're aggressive because of Nazi collaboration by French RU to ban RL as it was overtaking RU, RU old boys networks rubbishing the name of RL within investment circles in England, Welsh RL players being denied jobs back in Wales and having their sexuality called into question for daring to play RL, RL foreign development workers 'grassed up' by union boys and thrown in prison in other countries etc. etc.

RU over the years have done their utmost to 'end' RL yet we're still here! but we are bitter about the way RU has acted along the way, hence the aggression!

Since this thread no longer has any relevance to MCFC, or even football, any chance it can get moved to off-topic?

I know absolutely nothing about the differences between the 2, my uncle even played pro for Swinton, Great Britain and England (Alan Buckley - some older rugby fans may have heard of him!) and I couldn't even tell you if Swinton are league or union!!!

As a Salford season ticket holder, it'd be really weird having a "City" team in the game too. If the club was serious about it, the RFL would welcome the investment into the game and no doubt they'd be playing in Super League within a couple of seasons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.