Referees/Officials 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that Zinchenko tackle had been carried out by a Chelsea player I think we would have more than a handful of posts since the match yesterday.

The ref did well on here and if there was any supposed bias could have easily sent Zinchenko off, but sadly it will not be acknowledged on here by many.

No they were probably both sending offs in the context of all the other tackles we have complained about recently. So if you are going to go down this daft route and rather than considers anomolies are down to interpretation Oliver must be biased in our favour and we need an Fa enquiry into it based on the forum view every ref not giving decisions such as these in our favour are biased

Your suggestion that the reason why so many obvious red card challenges have wrongly resulted in yellow cards (or no card) is that they are ‘anomalies down to interpretation’ is deeply flawed. The thing about ‘anomalies’ is that they are exceptions to the rule. However as you know the context of all the other tackles we have been discussing is that tackles far worse than either Delph’s or Zinchenkos resulted in yellows or no card at all. The current count is that of 11 tackles (including Zinchenkos) discussed in this thread, one (that committed by Delph) resulted in a red card, and of the other ten, nine were committed by opposition players. So it is Olivers decision not to send Zinchenko off, in that context (in that it is the only time the benefit of the doubt has been given to a City player) that is the anomaly. What kind of anomaly is it that happens 10 times for every time that the non-anomalous event occurs?

Whilst posting, I might add that you can’t have it both ways about Zinchenkos tackle. Your first post I quoted above suggests nothing other than that Oliver made the right call and that Zinchenko’s foul merited a yellow but not a red. Your second suggests that actually Zinchenko was lucky to get away without seeing a red. It can’t be both. Your change of stance suggests that you changed your mind about how bad a tackle it was in order to make that point. So perhaps before being rude in response to a post that wasn’t, you might have reflected that your own logic is, well, a bit shit.

Last edited:
Which would not be a problem had we not had numerous leg breakers committed against us, with sometimes not even a free kick.

They weren't leg breakers though?

I'm not suggesting they weren't red card offences, but calling them leg breakers isn't true as they didn't break any legs.

The whole thread is basically calling for consistency. It can never be consistent as referees are different people; tackles are never the same.

No referee goes into a game thinking they will miss a red card offence or book someone for no reason.

Either we embrace VAR and take the consequences of that, or accept that refs are going to misinterpret things from time to time.

Completely agree pal, the refereeing against us this season has been a fucking disgrace. We all know we’re playing to different rules than certain other teams (two in particular) who wouldn’t even be 18 points clear if it had been officiated equally for all teams.
Strange thing is it was only a disgrace until they realised we weren't getting caught then alty Taylor stepped forward in the cup.

need to make it easy for ref and players.

sliding tackle with contact - straight red
all type of sliding tackle - yellow

ban all sliding tackle in the future.

There is a simple rule to bring in that any tackle knee high or above is a straight red card. Any ref failing to issue such a card will get an automatic 1 months suspension from all refereeing duties and made to re sit his examination, and must achieve a pass rate of 90% or above, before he can return to refereeing and then start out in League 2, as an assistant on the line.

Apparently, City are off to see Old Mother Riley today. Can’t see us getting anywhere with that. Wasted journey. OMR will just trot out the usual garbage, what the officials see at the time, stand by decisions, might even get ‘the same for both side’. We are not the only ones. BHA had a player laid out by the Arsenal guy on Sunday, would have been a good wrestling move, shoulder straight to the head.

I think whether Delph's and Zinchenko's were dangerous/used excessive force and therefore should be red cards is a subjective thing, and will vary from person to person and ref to ref. They're in the borderline area where both views can be justified. There's not a lot that can be done about that without changing the game ethos significantly, and it would have to be changed across all leagues.

I don't see what's wrong with introducing the rugby league 'on report' thing. Everyone can then see that the ref thinks something might have happened and that it will be reviewed post-match. If a ref is seen to be overusing 'on report' or otherwise failing to see multiple incidents, it will show up quite quickly.

England does have a big problem in that there is a very small group of 'elite' refs, and some just appear to be very poor. That group would need expanding significantly if any serious sanction was taken against refs not doing their job right. Can anyone tell me how big the elite ref pools are in Italy, Spain or Germany? @Vialli98 maybe?

I'd think a lot more of them if after the match they used the 'didn't see it fully' get-out, allowing the incident to be reviewed later (Mason at Cardiff is an obvious one, as his view looks blocked; similarly the Kane/Sterling challenge, when the ref may have registered that it was late, but was turning away/ducking and may not have been certain what he saw). That doesn't excuse the other officials of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.