Running a Marathon ...

I've completed several fulls now as well as a couple half Iron-mans. My suggestions for anybody thinking about getting into this mental hobby.

1) the day after your long run, go out and get in an easy run. Some call this junk miles, but it helps to recover. Not as important when your long runs are in the single digits, but it is good to get in the mindset of it. What you want is to run easy until the lactic acids built up in your muscles work themselves out. You will know because you go from feeling like death to actually feeling comfortable within a pretty short distance. Don't quit immediately after you feel better, put on at least another half mile. I normally find that 3 does the trick for me, but there have been occasions where my legs are being stubborn and it takes me more like 5 or 6 miles. Your legs will feel heavy, but that is expected. It is the tightness and soreness you are working free. Make sure you do this the day after your marathon as well. No matter how much it hurts or how bad you feel. It will improve recovery a significant amount and fend off injury that can result from inflammation.

2) If possible, get a gait analysis. It doesn't have to be a professional, but it would sure be better if that were available. But if you are overstriding, your knees will have a hard time making it.

3) Have at least one session a week for some cross-training. I do this while watching TV with the wife. This is a good page that has most of what I do: http://www.runnersworld.com/strength-training/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners/slide/8. Runners have horrible hip strength and as been stated by several runners on this thread, their hips end up being their biggest weakness.

4) train like you will run. You need to eat and drink to complete 26.2 miles. If you don't eat while you train, your system will not handle it well and you will find yourself in the porta-johns feeling like your insides are trying to escape.

Continue to ask questions and keep moving.

I've completed several fulls now as well as a couple half Iron-mans. My suggestions for anybody thinking about getting into this mental hobby.

1) the day after your long run, go out and get in an easy run. Some call this junk miles, but it helps to recover. Not as important when your long runs are in the single digits, but it is good to get in the mindset of it. What you want is to run easy until the lactic acids built up in your muscles work themselves out. You will know because you go from feeling like death to actually feeling comfortable within a pretty short distance. Don't quit immediately after you feel better, put on at least another half mile. I normally find that 3 does the trick for me, but there have been occasions where my legs are being stubborn and it takes me more like 5 or 6 miles. Your legs will feel heavy, but that is expected. It is the tightness and soreness you are working free. Make sure you do this the day after your marathon as well. No matter how much it hurts or how bad you feel. It will improve recovery a significant amount and fend off injury that can result from inflammation.

2) If possible, get a gait analysis. It doesn't have to be a professional, but it would sure be better if that were available. But if you are overstriding, your knees will have a hard time making it.

3) Have at least one session a week for some cross-training. I do this while watching TV with the wife. This is a good page that has most of what I do: http://www.runnersworld.com/strength-training/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners/slide/8. Runners have horrible hip strength and as been stated by several runners on this thread, their hips end up being their biggest weakness.

4) train like you will run. You need to eat and drink to complete 26.2 miles. If you don't eat while you train, your system will not handle it well and you will find yourself in the porta-johns feeling like your insides are trying to escape.

Continue to ask questions and keep moving.
All good advice, although I never did #3 when running as I used to run 6x days a week and always had a rest so didn't 'have time' to do any cross training.
I think point 1 is the most interesting here. I also used to do a short run after long run day to loosen up. However, many training plans have this day as a rest day. I always used to have the day before as rest day as I considered this my most important run and worked out that I ran better on fresh legs the day after a rest day.

All good advice, although I never did #3 when running as I used to run 6x days a week and always had a rest so didn't 'have time' to do any cross training.
I think point 1 is the most interesting here. I also used to do a short run after long run day to loosen up. However, many training plans have this day as a rest day. I always used to have the day before as rest day as I considered this my most important run and worked out that I ran better on fresh legs the day after a rest day.

#3 will keep you healthier and you can actually do a bit less miles if you include a bit of training. I do it like a circuit. I just go through the items a few times. Takes me about 30-45 minutes depending on if I feel like something needs a bit more work.

I know exactly what you mean about the rest days. My rest day tends to be either on Friday or Saturday. I let it float just a little so that I can still enjoy life. If my friends want to go hang out and drink a bit on Friday night, I'll get my run in on Friday before going out and then take Saturday off with my long run being on Sunday.

That leads to my next point. Don't forget to live. You have some wiggle room on your schedule. If you have something you would like to do, swap a couple days so that you have time to do it. This is for fun and shouldn't rule your life any more than it has to. Of course stick to the schedule as you can, but don't forget to live in the mean time.

.. Did 8.4 miles in 1 hour 21 min - average pace : 9:40

My longest run and quickest pace by far.

I went with a experienced Marathon runner which really helped me today.

... Eating a KFC now

Stop bragging mate.
I did first 10 miler this morning , almost cross country.
And after a few pints last night.
Mad For It !

I'm not running anymore. I used to. I said very early on in the thread that people were not doing enough miles to complete a marathon or if they did they would end up walking loads of it and hate it. I've not seen anything from anyone on here to change my mind I'm afraid.
Up to 14 miles long run now mate. 30 for week. With 10 weeks to go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.