Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like you PB, that's why im astounded to read this. You do realise his stats are out of this world this season, i know you'll say stats dont tell you everything but for a goal scorer they really do. He's obviously still working on whats being asked of him, pressing alone from the top is tough if its not natural to your game, but to say we should cash on him is LUDICROUS.
Pep has never shrunk from getting rid of very good players if they don't suit his system or he thinks they're not buying into his ideas. And I wouldn't disagree that Aguero is a world class player. But I've been watching him this season and I'm not convinced he's right for a Pep team plus I'm not convinced about his overall team contribution.

How many times do we get the ball down to the goal-line, put a wicked ball in across the face of goal and our main striker is hanging around on the edge of the 18 yard box? I highlighted just two incidents on Wednesday when he was in a terrible position when we were on the attack, rendering himself completely useless.

If he's got the ball and has a sniff of goal he's usually deadly but if he's got the ball and hasn't got a sniff of goal then he usually surrenders possession, even if a team mate is well placed. That's why I'd rather have Suarez, who can see opportunities to play team-mates in, even if he can't score himself. How many times has Aguero created something out of nothing for another player to score? Not many that I can think of.

So I'd be very tempted to cash in while he has some value and take a huge profit, which is something else we rarely manage to do. I think we'd clear £70m or more in the books, which would fund one of MSN or more pertinently two players like Griezemann and Aubameyang. Sounds less daft when you put it that way doesn't it?

Pep has never shrunk from getting rid of very good players if they don't suit his system or he thinks they're not buying into his ideas. And I wouldn't disagree that Aguero is a world class player. But I've been watching him this season and I'm not convinced he's right for a Pep team plus I'm not convinced about his overall team contribution.

How many times do we get the ball down to the goal-line, put a wicked ball in across the face of goal and our main striker is hanging around on the edge of the 18 yard box? I highlighted just two incidents on Wednesday when he was in a terrible position when we were on the attack, rendering himself completely useless.

If he's got the ball and has a sniff of goal he's usually deadly but if he's got the ball and hasn't got a sniff of goal then he usually surrenders possession, even if a team mate is well placed. That's why I'd rather have Suarez, who can see opportunities to play team-mates in, even if he can't score himself. How many times has Aguero created something out of nothing for another player to score? Not many that I can think of.

So I'd be very tempted to cash in while he has some value and take a huge profit, which is something else we rarely manage to do. I think we'd clear £70m or more in the books, which would fund one of MSN or more pertinently two players like Griezemann and Aubameyang. Sounds less daft when you put it that way doesn't it?

It's an unconventional view PB which is why it's attracting the opprobrium it is. I think it's a far from "ludicrous" view and it's entirely feasible the club, with a longer term perspective than the supporter, are thinking along the same lines. Time will tell.

He'll rightly see out the next two years if not his full contract.
Pep has highlighted the fact he wants to make his all round game better and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I agree....It does sound less daft :)

I don't think it does sound any less daft.
You don't sell your best players and counter the argument with "but we made a great profit".
Spurs said that after Bale, as did United after Ronaldo. "We can invest that money on 2 or 3 top players" etc.
It never works out that way. Sell your best players and you are always weaker as a result.

You don't sell your best players and counter the argument with "but we made a great profit".
Spurs said that after Bale, as did United after Ronaldo. "We can invest that money on 2 or 3 top players"

Both the rags and Spurs were forced sales leaving the club's to scratch around for replacements. If it had been a strategic sale at the clubs' discretion and with a definite idea of hiw to change the way they play and/or who might replace the players concerned they might have been more successful.

Furthermore, both clubs were wholly reliant on the player who had outgrown them. We aren't and have to ensure that we never are in that position. I'm not saying that PB is right but I wouldn't say he is wrong either.

Spurs said that after Bale, as did United after Ronaldo. "We can invest that money on 2 or 3 top players" etc.
It never works out that way. Sell your best players and you are always weaker as a result.
Agreed. Players like Aguero are almost impossible to acquire when you're competing with the likes of Real and Barca. When you get hold of one and he's proved he's one of the best in the world at your club, you don't get rid for love nor money. If we need cash to finance a deal that can come from getting Yaya off the books.

Wait a sec, we're in September and you're arguing he's not suited to Pep's team, even after he has 11 goals in 6 games? The whole point of Pep's tactics (IMO) is that it's not just on the striker to be in the position to score but also the other 4 that have been instructed to have freedom in the final 3rd. Aguero moving between the lines and standing in offside positions creates space for others, which is something KDB usually exploits. I do take your point on assists though, and i suppose that's something Pep wants him to work on.

Let's remember, he's had a couple months worth of training with Pep and it's fairly easy to see the change in work rate. Let's just see.

Both the rags and Spurs were forced sales leaving the club's to scratch around for replacements. If it had been a strategic sale at the clubs' discretion and with a definite idea of hiw to change the way they play and/or who might replace the players concerned they might have been more successful.

Furthermore, both clubs were wholly reliant on the player who had outgrown them. We aren't and have to ensure that we never are in that position. I'm not saying that PB is right but I wouldn't say he is wrong either.

I agree with the points PB is making re Aguero completely. He does swan around when he should be getting tap ins & he isn't doing the job in a Pep team as well as some might, as a team player.

But he's better than Griesmann & Aboomerang put together.

So I think we will only part company if Pep really feels it's impossible to function with him in the team. Which is clearly not the case right now, as he's on course for 50 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.