The Prisons crisis

Just let that fine company G4S take over the running of all of our prisons, they can employ people for 19k a year and then barely give them any training.
You know it makes sense

Ive just seen Truss saying she has no plans to reduce prison inmate numbers or reduce sentencing.

She hasn't got a clue!

The point Prison officer union spokesmen are making this morning is that more money, whilst always welcome is not the answer to the issues currently blighting the service and they are being completely ignored by this government. They did say that the announcement of money for some but not all will without a doubt further demoralise the majority though who are not going to get a penny.

Inmate numbers have to drop and drop drastically. You can be tough on law and order without locking every tom, dick and harry up when for most who are non violent and not a danger to society could be dealt with in other ways through technology and by doing so and easing the pressure within prisons and on staff, allowing them to regain control, surely that is the thing that will help to recruit more officers. A job that pays and is as safe as it ever can be.

All good points. If the pay thing is a throwaway to "show we are doing something", then I see where you are coming from. If it's part of a wider review that's being treated seriously, that's different.

I confess I haven't been following it closely to date but is there any indication of more wide-ranging reforms?

Edit: Just seen your latest post, which appeared while I was writing this one!

Slightly off topic here but as a society and for business owners looking to recruit, do we ban the question, do you have a criminal record on application forms so that those genuinely wanting to rebuild lives can find meaningful work upon release with employers unable to bin applications based on prejudice?

Of course certain jobs would need to be protected from criminals, financial sector or working with Children etc but does a job driving a van for the plumbers merchants need to know that you did 3 months 10 years ago for something trivial?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.