UEFA Youth League Thread 14/15.

FantasyIreland said:
squirtyflower said:
FantasyIreland said:
Are you there today mate?
Yes

Cheers Squirty,i look forward to your post match report then;-)
Gunn made two quality saves in the first half. His distribution is weak and often lumps it forward when he could recycle the ball back to the defender who gave it him. The equaliser was his fault, giving Bryan the ball with a man on him.
Ash Smith Brown is class, needs to be stronger in the tackle though
Maffeo looked good throughout, lots of tenacity I just wonder if he's big enough for centre half
Tosin is a really good ball playing centre half, my concern is how mobile will he be
Angelino got better and better as the game went on
Bryan and Byrne both had storming first halves and average seconds whilst Ntcham was man of the match for me. Got a great turn, just needs to make a quicker pass to play others in
Ambrose had the worst game I've seen of him, but a good first half
Barker had a good first half and a quiet second. He cuts in too much looking for a shot when he could be playing it in for the other wide players
Pozo was average, having to just run and run to harry their defenders rather than attacking them with the ball
Overall we tired early in the second half but then stepped up late on

Cheers Squirty.

Interesting......

Distribution is normally a strength of Gunn.
Maffeo is a right back gaining experience at CB only i'd hope.
Tosin has just earned an u18 call up,another with great potential.
Glad Ntcham is emerging again.

What of Dilrosun's cameo? I think he could be a star.

FantasyIreland said:
Cheers Squirty.

Interesting......

Distribution is normally a strength of Gunn.
Maffeo is a right back gaining experience at CB only i'd hope.
Tosin has just earned an u18 call up,another with great potential.
Glad Ntcham is emerging again.

What of Dilrosun's cameo? I think he could be a star.
He was only on about ten minutes or so but looked nice and comfortable
They are all good on the ball, and they play pretty football but I think need to put a little bit more bitr into their play if they want to step up

From OS.

City u19s have qualified for the UEFA Youth League knockout stages with a stylish 4-2 victory over CSKA Moscow at a sun-drenched Ewen Fields.

Goals from Jack Byrne and Thierry Ambrose, sandwiched either side of a Brandon Barker brace, were enough to earn all three points and ensure the youngsters' passage to the next round.

It was a dominant performance from Patrick Vieira’s men who might have been out of sight by half time with some more accurate finishing and without the intervention of the CSKA keeper.

Just two weeks had passed since these sides last met in a chilly Moscow, when a brace from Jose Angel Pozo was enough to secure all three points after a dominant performance.

It was therefore no surprise to see Vieira make just one change from the XI that started in Russia, with Ashley Smith-Brown replacing Mathias Bossaerts at right back.

Pozo led the line once again, supported by Barker on the left and Ambrose on the right hand side.

City seized control of the contest right from the off, and forced a desperate clearance from the defender inside two minutes after a good combination from Pozo and Ambrose.

The visitors failed to heed the early warning and City were ahead just five minutes later. Barker had a shot saved after an excellent driving run from the left, and Pozo set up Byrne for an easy tap-in at the far post.

Clearly determined to drive home their advantage, the club’s youngsters poured forward again and again. Smith-Brown’s cross flashed across the face of goal just needing a touch to take it into the back of the net, Angelino fired high over the bar and Olivier Ntcham had the crossbar rattling with a well-struck shot from distance.

The boys in blue were well in control, and Ambrose should have doubled the advantage but sent his shot sailing high into the stand after being set up by Barker, while Ntcham’s effort drifted wide after more good work from the England youth international.

However, the missed chances meant City were vulnerable to the occasional CSKA counterattack. Angus Gunn was called upon to divert a floated free kick wide, but he was powerless to prevent the equaliser on the half hour.

The keeper pulled off a sensational stop at close range from the initial effort, but Alexander Golovin was on hand to tap home the rebound and level the scores well against the balance of play.

However, the team showed their character to retake the lead almost immediately, Barker pouncing on the ball after a sloppy CSKA pass on the halfway line and running the length of the half before finishing coolly across the keeper and into the far corner.

The Russian keeper was called into action twice more before the halftime whistle as City sought a valuable two-goal cushion. Ivan Zlobin saved well from the feet of both Barker and Ntcham, who continued to put the defence under pressure with powerful runs.

However, within five minutes of the restart the scores were level once more – Timur Zhamaletdinov taking advantage of a defensive error from Gunn and Kean Bryan to tuck the ball home.

The second half was slower than the first, but City still looked the likeliest to grab a third. Byrne unleashed a rocket of a shot that Zlobin was relieved to see go just wide, while another strike from Ntcham was deflected over the top before Barker doubled his tally for the afternoon.

Impressive on the left all game, Barker was on hand to tap home the rebound after Smith-Brown had another shot blocked by a Russian limb.

Determined not to let CSKA draw level for a third time, City looked to control possession and see out the last 15 minutes.

Young sub Javairo Dilrosun smacked an effort towards goal, before Ambrose made sure of the result in stoppage time, nodding home from Dilrosun’s cross to secure the points and qualification for the next stage with two games to spare.

squirtyflower said:
FantasyIreland said:
squirtyflower said:

Cheers Squirty,i look forward to your post match report then;-)
Gunn made two quality saves in the first half. His distribution is weak and often lumps it forward when he could recycle the ball back to the defender who gave it him. The equaliser was his fault, giving Bryan the ball with a man on him.
Ash Smith Brown is class, needs to be stronger in the tackle though
Maffeo looked good throughout, lots of tenacity I just wonder if he's big enough for centre half
Tosin is a really good ball playing centre half, my concern is how mobile will he be
Angelino got better and better as the game went on
Bryan and Byrne both had storming first halves and average seconds whilst Ntcham was man of the match for me. Got a great turn, just needs to make a quicker pass to play others in
Ambrose had the worst game I've seen of him, but a good first half
Barker had a good first half and a quiet second. He cuts in too much looking for a shot when he could be playing it in for the other wide players
Pozo was average, having to just run and run to harry their defenders rather than attacking them with the ball
Overall we tired early in the second half but then stepped up late on

Interesting summary.

Not sure about Gunn's distribution being poor.He is clearly under instruction to play to feet and that can get hairy when the opposition press high and press well as we saw from their second goal. The pass to Bryan looked suicidal but he shouldn't have lost the ball as easily as he did. His shot stopping though is top class and even with not too much to do today he made a couple of sensational saves.

I agree re Ash Brown.Looks a quality player and I am not 100% sure what his best position is. Definitely better than Bossaerts although he is really a centre back but we had Maffeo in there and like Squirty I hope that's for the experience of playing that role.

Tosin looks a very good prospect and at 6 foot plenty is good in the air plus has ball skills. Need to see his defensive reading of the game more to know how good he is.

Byrne,Bryan and Ntcham bossed the game for a long time and I agree Ntcham the best of the 3.He really has been getting back to his best of late and if his passing does get better we will have a star.

As ever with Angelino his attacking quality in undeniable. Purely as a defender he has to improve and I think he is.Effort wise he cannot be faulted.Ambrose I didn't think was bad but again here we are seeing a striker playing out of position on the right. HE is quite quick and has quick feet.I do like him and was pleased he got the late goal for his efforts.

Barker I didn't think had a very good game but maybe I expect him to be more of a threat as an attacking left winger.He has the pace and the ball skill but does cut in a little too often for me. But of course he has an eye for goals which is a great quality to have. Winning the ball and running 40 + yards to slot it past the keeper is not something too many can do and he made it look easy.The 2nd was a simple tap in but he was there to do it.

Pozo was indeed average today but I think got 2 assists and no help at all from the ref as he was being fouled from behind for most of the time.

Seen that the bayern game is a 4 o clock start, how hard or how long does it take to get fro Hyde to Eastlands? Could be an idea rather than spending the afternoon in the pub

law74 said:
Seen that the bayern game is a 4 o clock start, how hard or how long does it take to get fro Hyde to Eastlands? Could be an idea rather than spending the afternoon in the pub

Hyde to Eastlands id say about 45 mins, get on motorway at Hyde then come off at Denton roundabout up towards debdale park then through Gorton keep going towards belle vue then Eastlands not far so not to long mate.. Ill be doing the same i love Ewen fields i remember talking to the Goat and keegan years back great little ground but its bloody cold get wrapt up warm ..

CITYROBBO said:
law74 said:

Hyde to Eastlands id say about 45 mins, get on motorway at Hyde then come off at Denton roundabout up towards debdale park then through Gorton keep going towards belle vue then Eastlands not far so not to long mate.. Ill be doing the same i love Ewen fields i remember talking to the Goat and keegan years back great little ground but its bloody cold get wrapt up warm ..
would be by taxi or public transport sadly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.