Work/Life Balance

I used to work between 50-80 hours a week, sometimes more. I once clocked over 300 hours in three weeks. That particular job was an easy one though, it just required me to be on site rather than do any actual work. Someone from head office did complain like fuck when he saw my wages for those 3 weeks though. I missed a lot of the kids growing up, I'd often be away from home for days or weeks at a time, come home for a couple of days and be off again somewhere. I enjoyed the work, most of the time, and I could have worked longer hours if I'd wanted. In my last 3 jobs, I can't ever remember not working at weekend. The overtime rates were just too good. Quite often we'd have no work during the week, so I'd take a day or two off then. Most of the lads used to come in and sit there doing nowt getting paid, rather than lose a days wages. I thought they were being greedy, considering we used to earn more for working Sat and Sun, than we did the rest of the week. Some of them were just greedy bastards. I worked on the same job with one lad, we'd just done 15 hour days for over a week. It was 5pm on a Friday night, and we both had work for the weekend. Another job came in, and the customer had specified my particular machine for the job. If looks could have killed, I think I'd be dead. I just offered the job to him, and he snatched my hand off. The bloke had already earned a fucking good wage that week, he was in all over the weekend but it still wasn't enough. Greedy ****.
Did I enjoy it ? Yes, for the most part I loved traveling around doing a different job every day and earning good money.
Would I do it again ? No, money isn't everything, and I missed too much of the kids growing up. I thought we needed the cash at the time, but you can get by on less. A lesson I've had to learn since then.

Gelsons Dad said:
squirtyflower said:
worsleyweb said:
I have made it my mission in life to escape the rat race aged 50. Working like mad now to save and invest for another 13 years, live sensibly and then do things I want to do in my 5os.
I had the same idea

However if it hadn't been for tuition fees I'd be 'retiring' on December 21st!

You and me both! My boat is still at least 10 years away :-(
this is the third one now, but all the more galling as he's going to do an extra four years on top of the first three!!!!!

squirtyflower said:
Gelsons Dad said:
squirtyflower said:
I had the same idea

However if it hadn't been for tuition fees I'd be 'retiring' on December 21st!

this is the third one now, but all the more galling as he's going to do an extra four years on top of the first three!!!!!

Thankfully I only have two but 4 years budgeted for each!

It's a nice idea enjoying your time while your young but the world doesn't work like that. You need money for pretty much everything so unless you have rich parents or win the lottery you need to work to get it and that's when you become trapped.

I have become pissed off with the monotony of things though so im currently saving and am going travelling next year but that's only temporary and will have to get another job and start it all over again. I guess the only hope is you find a job that's enjoyable and fulfilling.

Phil Meup said:
Ducado said:
Mine is OK at the moment to be honest

But we do have an overwork culture in some companies I have seen this, and it does not work well, it all ties in with the myth of multi tasking you can't do more than one thing at any one time
Mrs Meup will be having words with you! I've tried telling her!

It's a myth that has percolated into the psyche of the working world, try typing a reply to this and doing something else at the same time, it can't be done

As for the other points made in this thread, I could earn a lot more money than I do at the moment, but I am pretty content with what I have got and my lifestyle

Gelsons Dad said:
squirtyflower said:
Gelsons Dad said:

Thankfully I only have two but 4 years budgeted for each!
I budgeted for him finishing this year, he obviously had other ideas!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.