Referees/Officials

If a player is past the defence when a through ball is played he must be offside. A player can't be half offside. On or off.

Anyone watch on TV and could summarise the linesmans performance. The one closest to South Stand who flagged us offside loads but them hardly at all 2nd half. How accurate were those decisions? Was the Clear chance for them near the end onside?
All depends. The bloke who played the cross was miles onside. When he played it to Lalana, he was behind the ball, do also onside. The bit that didn't look right was Lalana was 5 yards offside when the ball went to Firminho. The law states that it's offside if 'the player is trying to gain an advantage'. If Lalana wasn't given offside, then Sergio (or indeed any forward) can just stand on the penalty spot all game and, as long as any cross is played backwards to him, he should never be given offside.

I am also bemused by the total lack of outrage or coverage of Monaco's first goal in the second leg where the Monaco player was clearly in an offside position blocking Caballero's view of the cross. How the linesman didn't flag for offside is beyond me, even more so when two additional Monaco players were also stood offside, albeit not interfering. The natural inclination of an unbiased official would be to flag surely?

The law states:

You are offside if you are:
  • Interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision
On that basis, a clear offside.

The lack of knowledge of the laws of the game is astounding, not one pundit raised the point that Lallana was 5 yards offside when the ball was played. For a professional linesman it is as clear an offside as you are ever likely to get and yet all I hear is that it was a gilt edged chance.

We are being cheated game after game.
The ball to Lallana was a backwards pass so not offside - has to be a forward pass for the offside rule to come into play.

I was as outraged as anyone over the Sterling/Milner episode and almost as much over the penalty. But truth be told, we dodged a bullet in the first half when Liverpool could have had a penalty with the clumsy Yaya tackle - and he could have received a second yellow. On the balance, Liverpool still edged it on the decisions, but Oliver was actually pretty close to being an equal opportunity blind, incompetent, brain-fucked mutant.

I think it is worth pointing out that, yet again, referees exercised a considerable influence on the PL table on Sunday. Not only did we not get a penalty but Milner remained on the pitch - to score theirs - but Spurs got a penalty for a blatant dive, and Southampton were denied one for a clear hack on one of their lads. Spurs won a game 2-1 which they could/should have lost 2-1. How would the table have looked then?

I am also bemused by the total lack of outrage or coverage of Monaco's first goal in the second leg where the Monaco player was clearly in an offside position blocking Caballero's view of the cross. How the linesman didn't flag for offside is beyond me, even more so when two additional Monaco players were also stood offside, albeit not interfering. The natural inclination of an unbiased official would be to flag surely?

I mentioned that to some friends immediately it happened - they agreed that he was blatantly in the eyeline.

The ball to Lallana was a backwards pass so not offside - has to be a forward pass for the offside rule to come into play.

I think this is the muddying caused by the latest interpretation. When the ball went forward to Firmino, Lallana was in an offside position. The ball and a defender passed him putting him onside, but he still gained an advantage from having started in an offside position.

However, the new rules don't care about gaining an advantage, and forwards do it all the time to be a few yards ahead of the defenders. Aguero does it certainly.

I know there's another thread on this with City charged by the FA for not controlling our players in the 50th minute when the Liverpool penalty was given.
Hardly surprising but equally Oliver needs to understand what affect bias has on players.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39333531I

Last edited:
There are a number of questions that should be asked, and answered by the top people at the FA, Premiership, Referees and sky.

1, Is there any corruption within English football ?, and who would it benefit ?.

2, Are our Referees corrupt ?, is there any collusion ?, who would gain from this ?.

3, Why is the standard of match officiating so bad ?, and why do we accept this standard?.

I know these questions will never be asked, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be asked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.