Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic yesterday despite missing a couple he would usually score with his eyes shut. The break away where Sane put it on a plate was class.

Nice to see you ending the season on a fair and balanced note :-)
My criticisms of him were about his failure to contribute to the overall team effort, too often standing around when the game was going on around him. The fact that he's a prolific scorer got him off the hook to a large degree but that on its own was never going to be enough for Pep.

He was all over the place yesterday, his use of the ball has been a million times better, there's no more running into blind alleys or hanging on to the ball far too long. And he's still scoring (although how he missed that seeming tap in in the second half is completely baffling).

My criticisms of him were about his failure to contribute to the overall team effort, too often standing around when the game was going on around him. The fact that he's a prolific scorer got him off the hook to a large degree but that on its own was never going to be enough for Pep.

He was all over the place yesterday, his use of the ball has been a million times better, there's no more running into blind alleys or hanging on to the ball far too long. And he's still scoring (although how he missed that seeming tap in in the second half is completely baffling).
Tbf under previous managers my guess would be he was told that they wanted him to play in that way, to concentrate his game solely in the final third. I imagine it's a difficult mindset to change and he deserves extra credit for showing a willingness to do so.

I agree, fitness permitting of course

Will become our top scorer
Could enter the top 10 Prem scorers of all time(Sergio 122, Sheringham 146), would make him 2nd highest foreign player behind Henry.
Could enter top 20 Champions League scorers of all time, needs 4 goals

I really think he should be looking at breaking 150.

Tbf under previous managers my guess would be he was told that they wanted him to play in that way, to concentrate his game solely in the final third. I imagine it's a difficult mindset to change and he deserves extra credit for showing a willingness to do so.

The issue IMO stems from the injuries. At Atletico and under Mancini he was not stationary or waiting in the box, it was under Pellegrini when his injuries got bad and we basically just needed him to find a way to play because no one else could score the goals for us.

So for probably 2 years the teams tactics were completely centred on getting the ball to Sergio in the box and it was really to the detriment of both his game and the players around him. It's no mystery that Sterling, Silva and KDB have scored nearly all their goals when Sergio wasn't on the pitch. When he's there a lot of the time they just want to give him the ball at all costs.

Pep has fixed the Aguero side of things, got him moving again, got him enjoying being part of the build up. Now his next job is to unshackle the others and have Silva and KDB contribute 10-15 league goals a season.

Looking back over this thread and the ones for the last 2 games I find it amazing how any one can criticize Aguero! He is, providing he is with us next season about to become the clubs leading goal scorer, he has just completed his most successful season with us despite being banned for 7 games. He might even have broken that record already if it had not been for the missed games. He scored what no one could argue was the most enjoyable and significant City goal in the Premier League years if not ever. He never calls the club, manager or generates negative press. Yet Bluemoon has some who want him to do it "better"!!!! or "differently".

Looking back over this thread and the ones for the last 2 games I find it amazing how any one can criticize Aguero! He is, providing he is with us next season about to become the clubs leading goal scorer, he has just completed his most successful season with us despite being banned for 7 games. He might even have broken that record already if it had not been for the missed games. He scored what no one could argue was the most enjoyable and significant City goal in the Premier League years if not ever. He never calls the club, manager or generates negative press. Yet Bluemoon has some who want him to do it "better"!!!! or "differently".
He's still a very fine player, but if you ask me who is the most important of City's strikers I would say Jesus. We finished with a decent number of goals scored but goal scoring was a problem until Jesus played and then they really flowed. I am not interested in total goals scored but in league goals. Aguero's record this season in terms of league goals scored was good. Good but not exceptional. No one can afford to rest on their laurels and City's finishing could be a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.