What is Manchester to you?

I have consistently argued with Salford RLFC fans from Salford that many people from Salford consider themselves Manc. They argue that pretty much everyone from Salford regard themselves as Salfordian.

Based on your experience, who is right?
I reckon in the heart of Salford, Langworthy, the precinct, etc, they'll say Salford. It took me the same amount of time in a car to get to either the middle of Manchester (M602) or the middle of Salford. I spent much more time in Manchester so feel more of an affinity.

I reckon in the heart of Salford, Langworthy, the precinct, etc, they'll say Salford. It took me the same amount of time in a car to get to either the middle of Manchester (M602) or the middle of Salford. I spent much more time in Manchester so feel more of an affinity.

Ah right, that makes sense. I guess the ones who claim people feel Salfordian are generally from the Heights and Langworthy. I lived in Eccles for a while (Monton, Russell Street in Eccles and Snowdon Rd). Most people in those areas tended to state they lived in Manchester rather than Salford.

St Mary's born, Ardwick raised until 7 pre Greater Manchester (time of SELNEC buses before GM transport) and then Fallowfield, 10 mins to Maine Road. M12 then M14, Manc and Lanc therefore

Harsh, some of his posts make me think he's a bit of a dick sometimes but I don't hate him.

You plural. England football fans disgrace themselves everywhere. Thankfully it's usually Walsall making out they're Brummies, Carlisle making out they're Geordies and Colchester making out they're Cockneys.

So where does the border end? I was in Failsworth for a short while and the locals said it was Oldham. I guess that's Greater Manchester and not Manchester itself.

Manchester itself is not very big with regards to its borders and a few borders have been changed, where I'm from used to be Lancashire even tho it's only about 5 miles from the centre but now classed as greater Manchester, there was a thread on here a while back about it, I'd class failsworth as Oldham

You plural. England football fans disgrace themselves everywhere. Thankfully it's usually Walsall making out they're Brummies, Carlisle making out they're Geordies and Colchester making out they're Cockneys.
I wasn't being entirely serious, mate.

Was born at St Mary's (the old one, on Whitworth Street) and spent the first year or so of my life in Miles Platting before my dad's streetwise guile moved me, him and mum out to the leafy suburbs, where I lived for the rest of my childhood and my early adulthood before moving away at 22: first to Sheffield, then to Nottingham, the New Forest, London, back to Nottingham and then to Birmingham over the next 25 years. During that time I've been home hundreds of times, partly to see the folks and a handful of mates - and City, of course.

When I moved to Birmingham in 2012 it was very much in my mind to move back to Manchester around this time, but I'm so happy in Birmingham that I reckon I'll probably stay here for good. I've built a life for myself here and it really feels like home, as daft as that may sound. Home is ultimately about where you are happiest, I guess.

I still consider myself a Mancunian though. Proud I was born there and supporting City is something that defines me as strongly as anything else; wherever I've lived since I left home in 1992 I've always been known as a City fan by the locals - and that remains the case. People sometimes says they can pick up a Mancunian twang in my accent, but I'm not sure that's the case. For my adult life I've had a pretty neutral northern accent; moving round the country must, in part at least, have contributed to that.

I'll always have a strong connection to Manchester, because of my family and of course because of City. I love going back and always enjoy drinking and dining in town. It's become a truly great global city and I can only see that being increasingly so in the years ahead. It will always be such a big part of me, but I'm glad I moved away and experienced and lived in other parts of the UK, but if you're going to spend you're whole life in a UK city then I reckon Manchester would take some beating.

Born in Manchester, started off on Langley but was known as the littlest Hobo among my pals because I was all over the place due to my parents being in the pub game. They used to all sing the theme tune to me when we was out - they still do when I make it back to see them! Haha!
Left when I was 17 and spent 12 years away on my travels and then 11 years in Cheshire - now about to head back on my travels after a few months in sunny Glasgow. My accent is pretty fucking confused but always seems to come back when I'm in my manc friends company for 5 minutes.
I'm not patriotic at all really, I've always considered England as just the country I was born in and that's it, though I'm always happy to say I'm from Manchester.

Was born at St Mary's (the old one, on Whitworth Street) and spent the first year or so of my life in Miles Platting before my dad's streetwise guile moved me, him and mum out to the leafy suburbs, where I lived for the rest of my childhood and my early adulthood before moving away at 22: first to Sheffield, then to Nottingham, the New Forest, London, back to Nottingham and then to Birmingham over the next 25 years. During that time I've been home hundreds of times, partly to see the folks and a handful of mates - and City, of course.

When I moved to Birmingham in 2012 it was very much in my mind to move back to Manchester around this time, but I'm so happy in Birmingham that I reckon I'll probably stay here for good. I've built a life for myself here and it really feels like home, as daft as that may sound. Home is ultimately about where you are happiest, I guess.

I still consider myself a Mancunian though. Proud I was born there and supporting City is something that defines me as strongly as anything else; wherever I've lived since I left home in 1992 I've always been known as a City fan by the locals - and that remains the case. People sometimes says they can pick up a Mancunian twang in my accent, but I'm not sure that's the case. For my adult life I've had a pretty neutral northern accent; moving round the country must, in part at least, have contributed to that.

I'll always have a strong connection to Manchester, because of my family and of course because of City. I love going back and always enjoy drinking and dining in town. It's become a truly great global city and I can only see that being increasingly so in the years ahead. It will always be such a big part of me, but I'm glad I moved away and experienced and lived in other parts of the UK, but if you're going to spend you're whole life in a UK city then I reckon Manchester would take some beating.

You don't need to live in Manchester to be a proud mancunian, that's the thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.