What determines who you support in Manchester? Is it a geographical thing?

Ours is an odd one.

My grandad was born in Lostock Gralam, a little village in Northwich, Cheshire.

He was a Manchester United supporter in the 50's, up until he learnt how the families of the Munich disaster were being treated and renounced his support.

In the mid 60's he joined the GMP and was posted at Maine Road, so began supporting City instead.

Because of this decision my entire family are Blues. Him, my dad, my uncle, their cousins, my cousins, me, my brother, my sister. I've even converted my girlfriend who started life supporting the Scum, then became a Red Dipper because thats who her mum supported, and now is an avid City fan. I have mixed feelings on adding such a football supporting mongrel to the City family.

I was born in Wythenshawe hospital in 1991 and lived in Didsbury until 1993. Ironically, other than my uncles family, we all moved back to Northwich in Cheshire. There is still a strong prescence of Pugh's in South Manchester and West Cheshire, every single one of us are blues. What makes me especially proud, is that when the football debate is brought up I can say that A) I am a Manc and B) I supporr my local team, my 3 closest friends either support the Scum or Everton, all 3 are born in Crewe. In their defence they are surprisingly knowledgable about football, and do go to games.

So that's the Pugh history on why we all support City!
Good man. What happened to Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, and Grub.....assuming we all know where Dibble went.

Loving reading all the stories of how you became blues. What comes through is a love of the club and a realisation that even if you tried, you cannot evict your team from your heart no matter how much they drive you mental.

I like that as for me that's the only way. No halfway house of emotional attachment.

Ordinarily, I would say you follow in your fathers footsteps, I think it's part of a bonding process, me personally ( born Withington), never really sure why I chose to be a Blue, older brother was, although him being a blue would more than likely have made me go the other way, step dad was a red (born Whalley Range, Blue before 1958 ;-) and I was already Blue before he came on the scene) and as it transpired my biological dad was a red (Born Moss-Side).

My earliest memory though, and one I think is the thing that influenced me most albeit subconsciously, was seeing Colin Bell in an open neck shirt, V neck jumper, flared kecks, German helmet hairdo and platform shoes, as a kid I just thought he looked cool as fuck and I just wanted to be like him.

No Blues in immediate family, just cousins. Dad was a rag, took me a couple of times. Uncle was a Pool fan, took my brother with him. Mum would take us to Bury. Asked my Mum for a City scarf, boy up the street liked em. Yeh, not great but in my defense it was the 70's, I was about 10

United only really became mainstream popular in 92. When it became easy to support them. I reckon if you recorded the demographic of City/United fans who started following their respective teams before 92 there'd be a fairly even split.

Nah, mate. The Busby Babes were mainstream and I believe the rags picked up sympathy support post-Munich. I started going to City in the early 60s and am pretty sure there were more reds than blues in those days. (Maybe not massively more.) Then, despite the glorious Bell/Lee/Summerbee team, the red cnuts consolidated further with Best/Charlton/Law and their European Cup win. History then shows they went on to grow to 680 million ;)

I don't have stats but an analysis of average attendances over the years would give some (imperfect) idea of relative popularity. Would be really interested to see them.

Last edited:
Salford and north manchester are more rags I would say. South Manchester, east Manchester more city. Generally if you are a twat you support them.

I thought that but my Mrs lives in north Manchester so I now spend a huge amount of time up there, it's full of City shirts from my experience.

United only outnumber us in Salford and Trafford I'd say but there's obviously a lot dotted about in blue majority areas.

Where I grew up in didsbury at a Church of England school everyone seemed to support city.

My old man supported Leeds and my mum was a blue dipper. But then Niall Quinn ♥️♥️♥️ signed...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.