VPN Advice - (2020 pg12)

Suggestions for this:

150mb connection.
Main TV has a Fire TV box with Kodi that is used for streaming nearly everyday.
Sons PC has Kodi software and streams a few times week. 2 other PC's with Kodi used fairly infrequently.

Ideally i'd like to cover every device in the house (phones etc) because Kodi is on those as well but rarely used.

Do I need a dedicated VPN Router to cover all devices? If so does it replace my existing Virgin Router or attach to it? And how much are they?

I notice that NordVPN can be assigned to 6 devices - I take it this means the individual devices have to have the Nord app or software installed?

If I can fit all devices into the VPN via software it willsurely work out cheaper ?

Ah ok just saw the OpenVPN app being recommended for android, should be able to install that on any android device for most VPNs, I will give it a go when I get a chance.
You can use openvpn with any decent vpn provider. You download a .ovpn configuration file from your provider and import it into the OpenVpn client.

Suggestions for this:

150mb connection.
Main TV has a Fire TV box with Kodi that is used for streaming nearly everyday.
Sons PC has Kodi software and streams a few times week. 2 other PC's with Kodi used fairly infrequently.

Ideally i'd like to cover every device in the house (phones etc) because Kodi is on those as well but rarely used.

Do I need a dedicated VPN Router to cover all devices? If so does it replace my existing Virgin Router or attach to it? And how much are they?

I notice that NordVPN can be assigned to 6 devices - I take it this means the individual devices have to have the Nord app or software installed?

If I can fit all devices into the VPN via software it willsurely work out cheaper ?
Only just got my subscription so not an expert but I did lots of digging recently to set it up and the easiest way to cover all your devices is via a router yes, the other way is to download apps for each device and run a client on each one as and when you use it. I think the latter's main drawback is having to set it up on every device you want to use it on and have the overhead for the app and the encryption on that device(not sure what that will be) as well as if you are the only techy in the flat/house hoping others will be able to learn how and when to use it on their devices.

The only problem with the router to cover everything is you get one connection which will be anywhere from 20-50Mb/s to share amongst all your devices, most VPNs give you multiple device slots(think Nord gives you 6) so sometimes it might be better to do it per device, if only there were a way to have multiple connections on one router taking up those device slots it would be perfect.

As for routers your new router would connect to the superhub(which is a cable modem router rather than just a cable router), I have mine set to modem mode because the features and security are very limited on the Superhub that way everything connects to your newer better router and the Superhub works happily as just a modem. I have been thinking about having a dual router setup that way you could have the new router for the VPN and the Superhub would be your normal full speed connection, you'd still have to remember to switch connections accordingly though.

The router would need a half decent CPU and enough ram to run the firmware, client, encryption etc required: 1GHz and 128mb is what I've typically seen recommended and luckily I was already using one capable. Just google "VPN router" with DD-WRT or Tomato and take your pick. I wouldn't go too cheap and I'd read the forums(DD-WRT and Tomato will have sections for most Routers they support) to make sure it does the task well from other users opinions before buying.

Most recommend Asus and Netgear(Nighthawk) well built, nice and fast and stable but they are pricey, TP-Link are great value for money IMO.

Last edited:
Only just got my subscription so not an expert but I did lots of digging recently to set it up and the easiest way to cover all your devices is via a router yes, the other way is to download apps for each device and run a client on each one as and when you use it. I think the latter's main drawback is having to set it up on every device you want to use it on and have the overhead for the app and the encryption on that device(not sure what that will be) as well as if you are the only techy in the flat/house hoping others will be able to learn how and when to use it on their devices.

The only problem with the router to cover everything is you get one connection which will be anywhere from 20-50Mb/s to share amongst all your devices, most VPNs give you multiple device slots(think Nord gives you 6) so sometimes it might be better to do it per device, if only there were a way to have multiple connections on one router taking up those device slots it would be perfect.

As for routers your new router would connect to the superhub(which is a cable modem router rather than just a cable router), I have mine set to modem mode because the features and security are very limited on the Superhub that way everything connects to your newer better router and the Superhub works happily as just a modem. I have been thinking about having a dual router setup that way you could have the new router for the VPN and the Superhub would be your normal full speed connection, you'd still have to remember to switch connections accordingly though.

The router would need a half decent CPU and enough ram to run the firmware, client, encryption etc required: 1GHz and 128mb is what I've typically seen recommended and luckily I was already using one capable. Just google "VPN router" with DD-WRT or Tomato and take your pick. I wouldn't go too cheap and I'd read the forums(DD-WRT and Tomato will have sections for most Routers they support) to make sure it does the task well from other users opinions before buying.

Most recommend Asus(Nighthawk) well built, nice and fast and stable but they are pricey, TP-Link are great value for money IMO.

Thanks for the info pal. I'm edging towards the individual client set up - there appears to be no cost for the app, only the subscription which I would assume you are given login details for when you subscribe which you can use on 6 devices. Can anyone confirm this? Plus, I'm the family techie anyway so hey ho.

Just an update for those trying to secure their FireTV Sticks, anyone with a 1st gen version will struggle to get a VPN working at all without going the router way. I've tried every method to get the IP to even change but speedtest via Areswizard always connects to the regular WAN address for the test(even http and socks5 proxies do nothing Amazon must be dicking about with the firmware).

I've not rooted mine but it might be possible with "OpenVPN for Andriod" and "OpenVPN settings" off the play store. Even easier might be a Kodi addon called "VPN Manager for OpenVPN" via the Zomboided Repo but since the recent update(5.2.1.2) there's no easy way to root so I will have to just wait till someone finds a way. If anyone has a rooted 1st gen Fire Stick wants to give it a try and post back if they have any success I'd appreciate it, I'm hoping to get a family member who lives elsewhere secured on one of my spare device slots. Any other version of FireTV(both boxes and 2d Gen Firestick) should work with either of the above methods, seems like they are nerfing the cheapest version so you have to upgrade almost.

Last edited:
Looks like I’m going to need one of these to do my movies anytime app, I’m looking at NordVPN seem to have a good deal, question is how do I use it where are they downloaded to? I don’t honestly understand them apart from the fact it stops you been tracked

Looks like I’m going to need one of these to do my movies anytime app, I’m looking at NordVPN seem to have a good deal, question is how do I use it where are they downloaded to? I don’t honestly understand them apart from the fact it stops you been tracked
You switch it on and you're ip address will be hidden. Nothing else to it really. It has no effect on downloaded file locations.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.