John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, deluded??!

Savic and Nastasic were exiled for far fewer shady performances and goal-costing errors than Stones has made in the past 4 games, let alone the last 18 months.
So what your point is? I liked Nastasic but your post suggests that we'd be at our same level playing wise with him in the side, yet you think I'm the deluded. Stones is in a bad moment and hopefully he cuts out occasional blunders, but surely we won't compare his contribution to Nastasic...

Not much going right for the lad at the moment. It’s clear his confidence is low and he is a little tentative as a result. He doesn’t look as strong physically as he was before his injury. Think it would be a mistake to drop him frankly, best to play through it. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

So what your point is? I liked Nastasic but your post suggests that we'd be at our same level playing wise with him in the side, yet you think I'm the deluded. Stones is in a bad moment and hopefully he cuts out occasional blunders, but surely we won't compare his contribution to Nastasic...

Nastasic would struggle to give away goals in 4 consecutive games, that’s for sure.

Since 2015, Stones has had a period of about 3 months where he’s looked like an elite talent, and that came against parked buses where all he had to do was retrieve long balls and pass it.

Quick question... in the Premier League, how many errors have led to a goal? Liverpool is questionable.. (foul by Firminho)...

Nastasic would struggle to give away goals in 4 consecutive games, that’s for sure.

Since 2015, Stones has had a period of about 3 months where he’s looked like an elite talent, and that came against parked buses where all he had to do was retrieve long balls and pass it.

Did you stop to think how stupid this comment was before posting?

3 months of being elite against "parked buses" included a clean sheets vs. Liverpool & Chelsea, great performances against Napoli (twice) and Arsenal. Such easy teams to play well against those lot, no defeding needed there.

The games since he's been bad in since injury - Bristol City, Newcastle and Burnley.

Unfortunately for Stones, everything he gets wrong is leading to a goal. He is pretty unfortunate in that respect. Same was happening last season too.

This is especially true of the Burnley goal. Otamendi did almost exactly the same thing earlier in that match, taking a swipe and missing, but on that occasion it didn't go to an attacker and got mopped up.

Poor form but I believe he can bounce back. With Kompany's injuries to this point he hasn't had any pressure to lose a starting place when fit this season. Adding Laporte means Stones will need to up his game, which I fully expect him to do.

Hands up, I wasn't keen on Stones when we signed him and despite a decent run of form earlier this season I'm still not keen on him now.

Aside from his mistakes,which can happen to anyone although Stonesy makes more than his fair share, I just think he isn't a defender. He doesn't think like one, he doesn't sense danger, doesn't see the bigger picture. He's no dog in him either, doesn't seem to take pride in dominating the opposing attacker, he has no real pace and no strength. If Pep wants a ball playing centre half he may as well sign a midfielder to play there

I also think he's a selfish player, he'll play awkward passes to teammates who aren't as good on the ball as him which results in them slightly miscontrolling it and playing a wayward pass so it looks like it's their fault we've lost possession. He did it a few times last night with Walker.

If this Laporte signs and he's as good as he's supposed to be then I foresee a summer exit for Stones and I won't shed any tears over it.

Hands up, I wasn't keen on Stones when we signed him and despite a decent run of form earlier this season I'm still not keen on him now.

Aside from his mistakes,which can happen to anyone although Stonesy makes more than his fair share, I just think he isn't a defender. He doesn't think like one, he doesn't sense danger, doesn't see the bigger picture. He's no dog in him either, doesn't seem to take pride in dominating the opposing attacker, he has no real pace and no strength. If Pep wants a ball playing centre half he may as well sign a midfielder to play there

I also think he's a selfish player, he'll play awkward passes to teammates who aren't as good on the ball as him which results in them slightly miscontrolling it and playing a wayward pass so it looks like it's their fault we've lost possession. He did it a few times last night with Walker.

If this Laporte signs and he's as good as he's supposed to be then I foresee a summer exit for Stones and I won't shed any tears over it.

I thought he was struggling to reach average in a fair few games last season (along with Otamendi) but both have proved this season, that they can be amongst the best around.

Recently he's made some really lousy choices & bottled it at times but Vinny will sort him out imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.