Gareth Southgate

Forget the nit-picking and tribalism. If we look at the nation’s reaction to the England team now, and compare it to just before the WC, Southgate has done brilliantly. Both on and off the field.

Looking forward, I’d be much more confident in him trying out more youngsters than the Croydon civil servant and others before him.

Credit where due. We have modest resources but can feel pretty proud of our national team

My biggest worry going forwards is he made the same mistake twice first against Colombia when we got away with it and then again last night where we didn't (taking Sterling off)

I think Southgate has shown himself open to listening to others and is still learning. It was disappointing that he couldn’t respond tactically last night but if he is given time and a clutch of world class youngsters coming through, he may just succeed. He understands the PR side of the job better than just about anyone I have seen in the post. Hope he books a three monthly session with Pep while he is here. That would do him the world of good.

Happy the way Southgate wants us to play but he got lucky with draw we got plus seems like Ali and Kane are the untouchables! Rashdord for Ali Delph for Kane Dier for Henderson.

Rashford isn't good enough to be a starter for Utd & apart from a couple of good goals, has been dogshite for England pretty much every time he's played.

But Southgate was put under loads of pressure pre tournament, to pick him & at the same time drop Sterling & that issue has, imo, clouded the thinking in what should have been the real issue: the midfield plus Deli Ali.

But he's done well to get any kind of tune out of a shit banjo imo.

He certainly has done well to work with what we are good at and that is set pieces. Definite work on the training ground there.

Ultimately though we have only beaten Tunisia, Panama, Columbia and Sweden. None of whom I would expect us to lose against.

I was a bit disappointed last night as I thought at half time we had it in the bag.

Still much better than expected in a very strange tournament.

I hate the phrase, I really hate it, but he was found out yesterday big time. I just hope, being a smart man, he introduces some flexibility and pragmatism to his game management.

Thought at first he was a breath of fresh air but last night he seemed to go the way of other managers and not take of his so called big players Kean has been poor the last two matches yet it's Sterling who had been our biggest threat gets hooked. Should have been brave and put rashford or Steptoe on for kean. Again Ali didn't do much nor lingard. Just seems to me if england are struggling take if sterling....

Really?

We managed to lose to Iceland in the last tournament.

Underestimating opponents can be very costly as the likes of Spain and Germany found out at this tournament.

I agree but I would still have us as favourites for all of those games which we were. We have done well but we still find it difficult against the top sides. As soon as we play one, we struggle. I think it’s progress but with the let’s not get too carried away just yet caveat.

I agree but I would still have us as favourites for all of those games which we were. We have done well but we still find it difficult against the top sides. As soon as we play one, we struggle. I think it’s progress but with the let’s not get too carried away just yet caveat.

It's all relative though, we're not a top side either.

So in that respect, beating some of the teams we've faced is an achievement.

Colombia and Sweden are no mugs and we battered Croatia in the first half last night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.