United thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see the match apart from last 5 mins
Were Leicester actually in the game/any threat.?
How did Pogbad and Sanchez play-did they look committed /dangerous ?
And..most importantly. ..I noticed loads of empty seats on pub sky screen with ten mins to go...were those seats empty all game,partc top tiers.?

Leicester ran the game in the first half
Sanchez was useless
There were loads of empty seats.

I don't know how to put it eloquently, but the best I can say is they were fucking dogshit and a better side would have punished them.

They won six games last year that they lost on xG (Spurs, Arsenal, WBA, Chelsea, City, Watford), whereas we only did it once (Southampton at home, 1.65 - 1.71).

For comparison, Liverpool did it twice (Palace, Leicester), Spurs did it once (Palace), and Newcastle did it 6 times (Arsenal, Leicester, United, West Ham, Palace, Swansea). So the trend seems to be that for top clubs, there's a decent correlation between xG wins and actual wins, but for shit teams, not so much.

I think United were fairly resilient and tough to beat last season, albeit playing a fairly joyless brand of football, and got a decent points haul. Previous seasons often count for nothing though, so think it’s wildly premature to predict an 85-90 point finish for them just yet.
I mean, technically I didn't predict an 85-90 point finish though. I did admittedly suggest they could based on other things.

Since we've had a 38 game season I think 90 points have been hit 7 times. And every occasion was by a rather fantastic team that genuinely looked great, at least at the time in some way.

So I suggested United would max out at 90, because to go beyond that they'd need to be exceptional, which they aren't looking like.

Now I never said they'd get 90 points or even close. I said, that if they don't improve to that exceptional standard, but do absolutely max out on luck (which they probably won't), then they are likely to finish on 85-90 points, as they wouldn't have the quality to go score any more. Similar to United 12-13, but with a bit less quality and even more luck.

I don't think the suggestion is ridiculous based on the potential circumstances. This is not based off one game, and IT IS NOT my prediction.

Last edited:
They won six games last year that they lost on xG (Spurs, Arsenal, WBA, Chelsea, City, Watford), whereas we only did it once (Southampton at home, 1.65 - 1.71).

For comparison, Liverpool did it twice (Palace, Leicester), Spurs did it once (Palace), and Newcastle did it 6 times (Arsenal, Leicester, United, West Ham, Palace, Swansea). So the trend seems to be that for top clubs, there's a decent correlation between xG wins and actual wins, but for shit teams, not so much.
Absolutely no idea what any of this means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.