Religion

idahoblues

Mods, If this is too much for you to handle, no worries, delete away.

I was in the pub earlier and a friend of mine hobbled up to the bar with his leg in a cast, asked for a beer and a shot but it had to be down low as his brother in law and family were there and were 'very religious' and could never handle seeing him drink alcohol. This guy is a doctor and has two children with the guy's sister, yet still fears upsetting this pious **** sat outside because he's very religious.
I personally would have taken great pleasure in sitting in front of him in a licensed restaurant and made him suck it up and realise that his shitty view of the world doesn't effect me or anyone else other than him.

There, off my chest

Yeah I’d certainly not be modifying my behaviour to appease someone’s religious belief in a licensed pub.

Just hope the god botherers were eating kosher.

Yeah I’d certainly not be modifying my behaviour to appease someone’s religious belief in a licensed pub.

Just hope the god botherers were eating kosher.
Most 'god botherers' would be quite tolerant of other people's views and personal beliefs. Some people are very quick to criticise, yet they themselves display a level of prejudice and intolerance.

The source of all the world's problems! Show me an ongoing battle were religion not a part of it!

Most 'god botherers' would be quite tolerant of other people's views and personal beliefs. Some people are very quick to criticise, yet they themselves display a level of prejudice and intolerance.
Possibly.

I’d go with most ‘god botherers’ are very intolerant of when their OWN peoples views and personal views change. They are very quick to criticise, yet they themselves profess to display a level of non-prejudice and tolerance.

Ie
If you continue to do as everyone else in that particular religious group does, you’re fine, try to leave or change to another religious (or ‘worse’, atheistic) group , then you are to varying degrees shunned, expelled, attacked or killed.

The source of all the world's problems!

For a minute I thought you meant alcohol ;)

Then again booze does cause plenty of problems and many deaths, pissed up fights in Town & City centres on Friday nights, many a life has been ruined and even lost

Anyway I found this list of wars where Religion wasnt the cause.

• War in Iraq 2
  • War in Afghanistan
  • African wars in the Congo (DRC)
  • Genocide in Rwanda
  • War in Iraq 1
  • Iraq/Iran war
  • All those civil wars in Latin America in the 70s and 80s
  • Civil war / genocide in Cambodia
  • China-Vietnam war
  • USA/France-Vietnam war
  • Korean war
  • Chinese civil war(s)
  • World War 2
  • Japanese invasion of China
  • Russian revolution (and related wars)
  • World War 1
  • Scramble for Africa
  • Franco-Prussian war
  • Crimean war
  • Taiping rebellion (Chinese civil war — although the main protagonist had crazy religious visions)
  • US Civil War
  • War of 1812 (and all the US wars of that time)
  • Opium wars
  • Napoleonic wars
  • Wars of the French revolution
  • Prussia’s wars of expansion (Silesia, etc. — Friedrich the Great)
  • Ottomans’ wars of expansion
  • Aztecs’ wars of expansion
  • Wars of the Roses
  • Ghenghis Khan’s invasions (and those of his descendants)
  • 100-year war
  • Viking ‘raids’
  • An Lushan ‘Rebellion’
  • Nomadic tribes’ wars against Rome, China, Central Asia
  • Roman wars of expansion and extermination
  • Asoka’s (and others’) wars of domination on the Indian subcontinent (though Asoka apparently had a religion inspired change of mind about all this killing)
  • Alexander the Great’s campaigns (although he started to think of himself as a God)
  • Chinese warring states period(s)
  • Persian-Greek war (although the Persians did have some religious justifications)
  • Egyptian wars and wars of Mesopotamian states (covering several thousand years with the proviso that Gods went hand in hand with all this)

For a minute I thought you meant alcohol ;)

Then again booze does cause plenty of problems and many deaths, pissed up fights in Town & City centres on Friday nights, many a life has been ruined and even lost

Anyway I found this list of wars where Religion wasnt the cause.

• War in Iraq 2
  • War in Afghanistan
  • African wars in the Congo (DRC)
  • Genocide in Rwanda
  • War in Iraq 1
  • Iraq/Iran war
  • All those civil wars in Latin America in the 70s and 80s
  • Civil war / genocide in Cambodia
  • China-Vietnam war
  • USA/France-Vietnam war
  • Korean war
  • Chinese civil war(s)
  • World War 2
  • Japanese invasion of China
  • Russian revolution (and related wars)
  • World War 1
  • Scramble for Africa
  • Franco-Prussian war
  • Crimean war
  • Taiping rebellion (Chinese civil war — although the main protagonist had crazy religious visions)
  • US Civil War
  • War of 1812 (and all the US wars of that time)
  • Opium wars
  • Napoleonic wars
  • Wars of the French revolution
  • Prussia’s wars of expansion (Silesia, etc. — Friedrich the Great)
  • Ottomans’ wars of expansion
  • Aztecs’ wars of expansion
  • Wars of the Roses
  • Ghenghis Khan’s invasions (and those of his descendants)
  • 100-year war
  • Viking ‘raids’
  • An Lushan ‘Rebellion’
  • Nomadic tribes’ wars against Rome, China, Central Asia
  • Roman wars of expansion and extermination
  • Asoka’s (and others’) wars of domination on the Indian subcontinent (though Asoka apparently had a religion inspired change of mind about all this killing)
  • Alexander the Great’s campaigns (although he started to think of himself as a God)
  • Chinese warring states period(s)
  • Persian-Greek war (although the Persians did have some religious justifications)
  • Egyptian wars and wars of Mesopotamian states (covering several thousand years with the proviso that Gods went hand in hand with all this)

May not have been caused by wars but one can bet their bottom dollar that the soldiers in most were promised they’d win as god was on their side.

A lot easier to get someone to die for you if they feel there’s an eternal paradise awaiting them if they fall in battle.

I can see a non religious point of reasoning for most of those wars, but the West’s invasion of Afghanistan is surely religious based:
Trying to get rid of an extreme branch of Islam , which was sheltering el-quaida, which had caused Sept 11th, due to the ideology of labelling the West ‘crusaders’ and wanting to remove all other religions and strike against the great infidel?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.